Poseidon Odin/Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
What can anyone tell me about the Poseidon Odin. I like the idea of it being a good cold water regualtor-I live in Minnesota. I have some fears about its servicability(or lack thereof) and is it diffucult to find someone to repair them when on a trip -to a place like Mexico?
Thanks

no disrespect intended toward Poseidon (the Cyklon 300
was a phenomenal reg in the 70s) but I'd advise you to purchase a more widely used reg such as SCUBAPro, Apeks,
Zeagle, Oceanic, etc.

The Odin is a great reg. It is a workhorse and one that I prefer. One question first though. Have you tried one to make sure you like it. For me, the side venting was important, but you may or may not like that feature. The Odin has some "charming" characteristics that you need to be aware of and need to experience before buying to make sure they don't drive you stir-crazy. The Odin tends to have a very mechanical feel (sometimes fluttery) above 30-40 feet. That will most likely be the deciding factor, as it either turns people off the reg, or they don't mind it. In deep, cold water, the odin is great.

A couple things about servicing. Around the great lakes area, I can't see servicing being a problem, as there are a number of posiedon divers in the area. Mexico on the other hand could be a problem.....not sure. You do need a good poseidon tech to properly keep the reg in tune. I have never had a problem with this, but have never tried to get mine serviced down south. If you have other posiedon divers in your area, talk to them about it.

I would advise putting an anti-freeze/environmental kit on the first stage if you are thinking about early spring/winter diving. I'm not sure if there are different kits available, but the one I use is a large rubber cap on the first stage, filled with silicone oil (or ethanol). The design looks very vulnerable to damage compared to those on my Mares 1 stages, but in two years, it hasn't been compromised.....

Bottom line....Absolutely try an odin at varying depths and conditions BEFORE you buy. If you like the feel and characteristics of the reg, then you will be getting an excellent reg.....

Any other questions etc, let me know (email or board) and I'll see if I can help you out further.

Bio guy

Bio Guy-

Thanks for the input-I really appreciate it. I am trying the Odin this afternoon to see if I like it. Typically, how much is it to have the regulator serviced and have you had any trouble getting service?
I wanted a regulator that would stand up to everything-wreck diving, ice diving(lots of ice in Minnesota), maybe caves but that's a little scarey for me right now. I would gladly exchange a little comfort for piece of mind in a regulator.
Again, thanks for your reply. I am always impressed with the kindness of divers-it's a unique sport that attacts good people.
Mike Allen

Unless Posidon has change their design, the whech ever one looks like a shower head is of the upstream design, meaning if it fails the air supply shuts off, as opposed to 99% of all other regs made are of the downstream design, meaning if it fails it will go into freeflow and can still be breathed.

For my money I would get an Apeks TX50 with a DS4 first stage. Lots less problems, don't have to have a good Posidon Tech around, parts available anywhere in the world. If you ever need them, which is very seldom.

Check out the tech forums and see what they use.

ID

Hello to all I have been reviewing the board for a while and well the remarks listed above force me to interject. The Poseidon Odin is a fine regulator and in its entire history has never had a failure that did not supply the diver with ample gas supply. It is the only Cold Water Regulator approved for Navy use and has passed the Navy's testing with flying colors. the regulator has exceptional work of breathing/ resistive effort numbers down to 198' at a respiratory rate of 62.5 RMV (thats 2.5 liters of gas at 25 breaths per minute. as far as repair I have repaired Poseidon regulators for the last 15 years as well as a large majority of all regulators made in the last 15 years. Yes the Poseidon is more difficult to repair than most other regulators but with the proper tools and training it has been a breeze. Poseidon is going through some changes and trying to recoup its name after the job that Serious Fun Did to them in the states. there are very good things on the Horizon and I will pass on this information as it comes. I currently do poseidon repair and if anyone needs repairs I am easy to reach feel free to e-mail me your requests and I will respond quickly. Thank you for your time and safe diving.

Rainreg

Rainreg,
Has the designed changed, or have they always been a downstream design?

Mike,

My Odin is a "work" reg, so reliability was important for me. As far as servicing costs go, I'm not really sure what the going rate is as I get a deal in that area. Check with the dealer you will be ordering from about servicing costs etc. Rainreg makes a good point about service training though. Although it may be straight forward once learned, I wouldn't let a tech work on my regs unless they were familiar with poseidon.

Just my opinion, but I don't think you will be sacrificing comfort with the odin....it is just different. The amount of air it will supply, particularly at depth is great.

I put a nice thick coating of ice on it while diving in shallow rapids last winter and it kept on ticking, but the antifreeze kit is a must in my opinion. If you have other ice divers with odins in you area, they would be good ones to talk to about it as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Let us know how the test dive goes.

The Poseidon Odin has undergone several small modifications over the years but now they have just one first stage and three second stages. As far as the downstream design I can understand the viewpoint of a textbook Engineer but that is just not the case with this particular design, the intricacy of their 1st and second stage puts them pretty much in a class by themselves. The design is nearly flawless, excellent gas path and control, great quality control and a tried and true repair process. I can be more thorough in my explanation if you so desire the exact details, but the bottom line is that this regulator is a top performer with a long history of cold-water application both military and civilian.

The Poseidon Odin is the "only" cold water regulator approved for navy use. Rainreg i take it that you mean the U.S. Navy?

I ask because our (UK) Royal Navy use Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom