Should I get this regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone near where I live is selling this set for around 70 dollars:

5c_1_b.JPG

It includes US Divers 1st stage, and USD octo. primary 2nd stage not included. The SPG is suunto. I think the depth gauge looks busted in the picture. No information regarding operability or maintenance records were given as of now.

Anyway, I'm not adept at identifying the model of this reg, so if anyone out there can give me some information on this set, i'd be much obliged. Also, any opinions regarding the price and the condition of the items based on the picture would be welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

I wouldnt buy that reg. If someone gave it to me, then I might use it for pool diving. The newer regs that are available today are soooooooooo much better than that old USD reg. (Better breathing and more comfortable).
Of course, there probably will be someone who says thats the best reg ever made, and yes, buy it. To each his own.

It is a U.S. Divers Pro Diver, a great reg if it's in good condition.

From that photo it's hard to tell condition, but there appears to be some plating corrosion on the first stage.

$70 is not bad, but not knowing the history makes me a bit concerned about how much $$ to get it up to standards.

Back in the late '80's, early to mid '90's I would often borrow a Pro Diver from friends that had them. Great breathing, very reliable.

I would not hesitate to dive one today, if I knew the condition.

FYI, there is one on Ebay, new condition - http://cgi.ebay.com/US-DIVERS-Pro-S...3QQihZ012QQcategoryZ16056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not worth it. That's old gear in questionable condition that will need to get checked out by a professional to even see how usable it is.. and if it is, you will be paying for a service, assuming your shop still has/can get the parts.

Get it and wait 25 years. It will be an antique.
Seriously, I would hang on to some classic old stuff. Look at the beautiful old double hose Aqualung regs.
This looks in questionable condition. If you are interested in vintage stuff, check out that section on scubaboard.

A reg is the main life support equipment while diving. Make sure it is in the best condition possible when you dive. Faulty stuff can be bad news. The picture you show does not promise mint condition.

Looks pretty beat, by the time you pay more to get it into shape might not be worth it. Since they're nearby maybe they'll let you take it to a shop who will do a quick look/estimate for you?

Thanks everyone! :)
I did get more info from the seller. Jbichsel was right. Its a pro divers s2a2101 - last used 4 months ago. Anyway, one reason I was thinking of it was for practice... taking it apart and putting it back together. :D
Yeah, it does look kinda beat up, doesn't it?
Oh well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom