Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Should I get this regulator?

Registered

is a double hose regulator
    enthusiast

Photos

Should I get this regulator?

Someone near where I live is selling this set for around 70 dollars:

It includes US Divers 1st stage, and USD octo. primary 2nd stage not included. The SPG is suunto. I think the depth gauge looks busted in the picture. No information regarding operability or maintenance records were given as of now.

Anyway, I'm not adept at identifying the model of this reg, so if anyone out there can give me some information on this set, i'd be much obliged. Also, any opinions regarding the price and the condition of the items based on the picture would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Scuba Instructor

Wants to get in the water!!!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    I wouldnt buy that reg. If someone gave it to me, then I might use it for pool diving. The newer regs that are available today are soooooooooo much better than that old USD reg. (Better breathing and more comfortable).
    Of course, there probably will be someone who says thats the best reg ever made, and yes, buy it. To each his own.

ScubaBoard Contributor

Has not set a "status"

It is a U.S. Divers Pro Diver, a great reg if it's in good condition.

From that photo it's hard to tell condition, but there appears to be some plating corrosion on the first stage.

$70 is not bad, but not knowing the history makes me a bit concerned about how much $$ to get it up to standards.

Back in the late '80's, early to mid '90's I would often borrow a Pro Diver from friends that had them. Great breathing, very reliable.

I would not hesitate to dive one today, if I knew the condition.

FYI, there is one on Ebay, new condition - http://cgi.ebay.com/US-DIVERS-Pro-Sc...QQcmdZViewItem
    Jerry
    Considering Open Water certification? Have you read this? Please PM before you sign up!
    PADI OWSI #47113
    Monument, Colorado
    www.monumentscuba.com
    jbichsel@monumentscuba.com

Registered

Commercial, Military, &
    Public Safety Dive Gear Sales

Photos
    I agree, it's a tad on the "iffy" part unless you can get a "100% happy" guarantee with them.
    Your friendly Viking/Poseidon Drysuit dealer.
    Si Tech Valves & DryGlove Ring Systems
    Viking DryGlove Ring Kits
    Drysuit Repair Parts & Glues, PB-300

Knight Scublar
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Not worth it. That's old gear in questionable condition that will need to get checked out by a professional to even see how usable it is.. and if it is, you will be paying for a service, assuming your shop still has/can get the parts.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Get it and wait 25 years. It will be an antique.
    Seriously, I would hang on to some classic old stuff. Look at the beautiful old double hose Aqualung regs.
    This looks in questionable condition. If you are interested in vintage stuff, check out that section on scubaboard.

A reg is the main life support equipment while diving. Make sure it is in the best condition possible when you dive. Faulty stuff can be bad news. The picture you show does not promise mint condition.
    If you are going through hell, keep going.

too long 'til Palau...way too
    long 'til Philippines

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Looks pretty beat, by the time you pay more to get it into shape might not be worth it. Since they're nearby maybe they'll let you take it to a shop who will do a quick look/estimate for you?

Registered

is a double hose regulator
    enthusiast

Photos
    Thanks everyone!
    I did get more info from the seller. Jbichsel was right. Its a pro divers s2a2101 - last used 4 months ago. Anyway, one reason I was thinking of it was for practice... taking it apart and putting it back together.
    Yeah, it does look kinda beat up, doesn't it?
    Oh well...