Can I use shorter hose for primary reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver with a standard (e.g., not DIR) regulator setup. I would like to be a bit more compact however and don't see that I neccesarily need the 35" hose that came with my regulator. I believe that the DIR hoses for the backup regulator are around 24" or so. Is there any reason for me not to use this length for my primary regulator (i.e., and I would keep the octopus regulator with the default length that it came with...38" I believe)?

Thanks
Dave

Sounds like a good plan, should work just fine.

Maybe that will be a start, to moving along the way to a recreational DIR setup.:)

Hope that helps ease your mind.

Depending on your first stage configuration you might find it a bit restrictive looking left. See if you can rig something up to try it.

It might make reg recovery difficult. With the short hose on the back up reg you don't have to worry because it is bungied in place.

>>It might make reg recovery difficult. With the short hose on the back up reg you don't have to worry because it is bungied in place.<<

I was thinking about this also, at least for the sweep method. Would there be a problem with using the bungee necklace and short hose for the primary regulator? With a DIR configuration, does breathing off of the necklaced backup restrict head movement?

Dave

It seems what you are trying to do is almost the exact opposite of the hogarthian configuration. You're trying the short primary reg, medium backup reg whereas hoggy defines a long primary and short backup.

Your idea would seem to give you a more streamlined (more than standard rec config) setup while things are normal and fine. But I seem to recall a skill in OW class about removing and donning your bc at depth while breathing off of your reg. With a short primary, will you still be able to do this effectively?

>>what are you going to do when you have to share air ?<<

Use the backup regulator which is still on a relatively long hose.

>>But I seem to recall a skill in OW class about removing and donning your bc at depth while breathing off of your reg. With a short primary, will you still be able to do this effectively?<<

Good point. I would most likely use the backup with its relatively long hose. Both are good regulators.

Dave

if you are after streamlining, why not get a longer primary hose and route under your arm.

If you don't want to go the whole DIR 7" hose thing - you can get an angle piece that fits into the second stage (I think Scubapro makes them) so that you don't have to wrap the long hose around your head to get a decent angle into your mouth...

Grant

Why would you want to do it this way? I wouldn't recommend an overly short hose for your primary since it will restrict your head movement. And what better way to stow an "octo" on a long hose than to keep it routed across your body and in your mouth?

The long hose system really works fantastically. Keep the short hose for the regulator bungeed around your neck.

Why do you want your primary to be on a short hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom