DIR Regulator set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
What is the consensus on regulator colour for DIR diving?

Is it comon for DIR divers to have a primary regulator with a yellow face. In the same way, i imagine it would be better to have the backup (octopus) regulator in black so non-DIR divers didnt try to pull your head off, incase of an out of air emergency? Any advice is very welcome, Cheers.

Greetings,

The regs shouldn't be color coded. Correct hose configuration, gas management, and pre dive planning will take care of all that. Just donate the long hose that is being breathed and switch to the back up under your chin. No complications and no gimicks necessary.

Mike

Frog,

I've got the Apeks TX50 that came with a TX40 "octo" in yellow. I've been trying to get a new cover in black for exactly the same reasons that you state above. My dive shop so far hasnt' been able to get me one, or don't want to bother themselves.

If anyone knows where I can buy a black cover for a TX40, please let me know.

Thanks.

Color isn't worth discussing in DIR circles. It a non-issue because of the way stages are marked and used. Reg color is what ever color they come from the factory in.

Sam

Detroit Diver,

Try here. I have dealt with them a lot for Zeagles (same reg), and their customer service and prices are excellant.

Aquatic Adventures 1 800 741 6476

I dont' think that stages are an issue here. If you've got a bungeed second around your neck, and it's yellow, you may want to donate your long hose, but the OOA diver may try to pull your neck off going after the yellow regulator.

I know that people say that OOA divers will go after the reg in your mouth anyway, but if they don't you might have a very sore neck at best.

Where are you in the U.P.?

I used to do a lot of camping in Munising and spent many days canoeing and hiking on Isle Royale. Your part of the state is really spectacular in the summer (haven't braved the winter up there yet!)

I grew up in the EUP, but I really like it up here in the summer. The winters are brutal though, and the summers too short. Have you been diving in Munising?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom