Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aqualung Mistral Regulator

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

Aqualung Mistral Regulator

Hello, I recently purchased a Aqualung Mistral Double Hose regulator and have nothing but praise for it. The bubbles exhausting in the back definitly make it easier to approach the fish and marine life that are usually spooked by single hose bubbles. Having used double hoses many years ago, I knew what to expect as far as more inhalation resistance, but found that I quickly got used to it, and even enjoyed it. The exhalation resistance is somewhat less than a single hose. If anyone purchases one of these regulators you will definitly need to purchase hose weights that are sold for rebreathers. Otherwise the hose bouyancy will be too much for any length of time. Alternately you can use a rubber band from each hose to the shoulder of your BC. Thanks to Aqualung for bringing the double hose back!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I haven't dove the New Mistral, but I own and dive one of the originals. As a matter of fact I currently own and dive four vintage double hosers. They are a horse of a different color, they are fun to dive and they don't spook fish near as easy as you mentioned. Now I can't speak for the new Mistral, but with the vintage regs, the height of your tank and and the reg's position on the back is critical to making them work correctly. In an ideal situation the reg's body should be right bettween your shoulder blades. For most people this means lowering the tank in the harness. Then swim in a slightly heads up position getting the mouthpiece more or less even with the reg body. Doing this will decrease the inhalation effort. Give that a try and see if that helps.

Jim

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    I believe Aqua Lung may be discontinuing it. The prices have dropped tremendously and I have heard that they are dumping the inventory.

I just hope they will support parts for a good long time.

I have one, and at the price they are selling them, I am thinking of getting a second one for spare parts and experimenting.

The new Mistral was an economical attempt at re-introducing the double hose regulator. It was basically put together from the parts bins. It is just a Titan first stage, re-breather hoses, and a single hose second stage hanging from the fist stage. The only really new part was the second stage housing.

Some people say it looks like a junk yard experiment, I tend to agree, but I don't mind the looks. IMHO, for looks and performance it will never compare to a Royal Aqua Master

Now that we have parts for the original Royal Aqua Master, Aqua Master, original Mistral, etc. I much rather dive an original double hose. I still own my original 1971 RAM and I am very glad I kept it for all this years (even thought I didn’t have parts for all those years, especially the exhaust duckbill)

I dove a variety of single hose for decades, but my favorite regulator has always been my original round label Royal Aqua Master. Now I mostly dive one of my modified Phoenix Royal Aqua Masters. The mechanical advantage of the large diaphragm and the simplicity of the second stage lend itself to be fine tuned to be the best breathing regulator.

Like any double hose, the new Mistral also has the potential to be fine tuned without much of a concern of free flow since the exhaust is right in front of the main diaphragm.

I probably never dive the new Mistral much, but I thought it was a piece of gear that belongs as part of my small collection of US Divers double hose regulators. I will dive it some, since I am a diver not really a collector.

One very interesting feature the new Mistral offer is that the second stage can be separated from the first stage. I am planning on experimenting with wearing the second stage on my chest and a long LP hose to the first stage. Cousteau and the Calypso divers wore some of their double hose regulators (mostly the Spirotechnique Mistral) that way since it is supposed to be the easiest breathing. I am just intrigued on how it will perform.
    Last edited by Luis H; December 31st, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
    Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

supporter

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Aqualung Mistral

Something must be going on at Aqualung, there is a guy on E-bay selling 8 of these for a buy it now price of $399.00 ea.
    Here is the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUALUNG-MISTRAL...QQcmdZViewItem

Jim Breslin

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    I also dive the Royal Aqua Master, one of them with the Phoenix conversion designed by Luis. My short pool dives with the "new" Mistral reveal it to be quite inferior to the Royal Aqua Master and in particular the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master. I also own a brand spanking new Aqua Lung Legend set, top of the line and compared to the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master it is a "Legend" in name only.

If Aqua Lung ever makes a for real new Royal Aqua Master or Navy Mentor spin off then I will be in the market but the "new" Mistral is not the real deal.

Edit, hose weights are not needed on original double hose units because the hoses are rubber and of somewhat smaller diameter reducing the "slinky" effect and excessive bouyancy of the larger "rebreather" type hoses which other than problems offer no benifit.

N

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    OMG you must have been drowning in that pic, right? Total panic and freaking out!! was there a giant spaghetti monster after you underwater? I hope you survived. Since you are (gasp) MOF (cue dramatic organ music)

Just wondering but where did you get your RAM? How long have you been diving with it?
    Cyril

Saltwater cures everything, by Ocean, Tears or Sweat!

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Cyril, I learned to dive when a kiddo (circa 66-68) and the regulators that made up half the instruction fleet were original Mistrals. I have had an original Mistral forever. I began diving double hose again a few years ago in an effort to simplify for kayak diving and soon I went into full narcosis and tossed all my single hose junk into the back closet.

Yes Cyril, they don't like me on scubaDIRboard because I know that MOFH is the correct surface procedure, long hoses for open water are not holistic and are non optimal and obviously single hose regulaotrs are for beginners and girls and a knife is not a tool, it is a WEAPON and the bigger the better---lol

I have three RAMs, one from ebay, one from a fellow who bought it and stuck it in his sock drawer new for thirty years and another I bought from a friend. I also have a ebay/parts bin "Super" DA Aqua Master and my 1958 Pico Mistral. One of my RAMs is converted to the Phoenix version thanks to Luis and like Luis, I am not really a collector, this is my dive gear of choice.

Happy New Year. It is gonna be a double hose year.

N

Registered

opening Pandora's Box

Quote Originally Posted by JBRES1
    Something must be going on at Aqualung, there is a guy on E-bay selling 8 of these for a buy it now price of $399.00 ea.
    Here is the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUALUNG-MISTRAL...QQcmdZViewItem

Jim Breslin
    ....I'm gonna assume, that since Aqualung prohibits internet sales, that none of these units will have warranty coverage ?

Karl

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Nemrod,

Is that yellow mouth piece & hose set original"

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod
    I also dive the Royal Aqua Master, one of them with the Phoenix conversion designed by Luis. My short pool dives with the "new" Mistral reveal it to be quite inferior to the Royal Aqua Master and in particular the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master. I also own a brand spanking new Aqua Lung Legend set, top of the line and compared to the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master it is a "Legend" in name only.

If Aqua Lung ever makes a for real new Royal Aqua Master or Navy Mentor spin off then I will be in the market but the "new" Mistral is not the real deal.

Edit, hose weights are not needed on original double hose units because the hoses are rubber and of somewhat smaller diameter reducing the "slinky" effect and excessive bouyancy of the larger "rebreather" type hoses which other than problems offer no benifit.

N
    NIce picture!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast