Help! Advice needed on buying "gray market"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FastDen

Registered
Reaction score
Help! I'm heading back to Coz in 2 weeks and finally have the bucks to buy my first reg/BC/computer set, but I'm confused and worried about where to buy. My LDS doesn't carry my top 2 choices for a reg (Apexs and ScubaPro), but LeisurePro does and I live near their showroom in NYC. I keep reading cautions about buying "gray market" but I'm not sure what that means. I called LeisurePro and they said that they warranty and service everything they sell (and they offer the best prices I've found by far)- if I buy from them will I have problems if I need warranty coverage for something or with getting my stuff serviced elsewhere? Thanks for any advice y'all can offer.

It's a crap shoot. If you're close to the showroom, grab it there, then there is no issue of getting the wrong stuff, stuff on back order, etc.

If you take to an auth dealer, you may, or may not get hit for repairs/service/parts/labor.

Some don't ask for the warranty card, some will ask to see every receipt since you've owned it and hit you for everything if you don't have it.

Unfortunatly, there is not a yes or no for this one.

If you read the warranty, you will quickly discover that it really is not worth that much. It only covers parts and from what I have been able to determine, the rebuild kits run in the $15-30 range. Go a little past the 1 yr service due date and the warranty is gone anyway. The yearly service labor is not covered and that's what runs up the bill. You can afford to pay for a lot of rebuild kits with the money you save. You may find some LDS that wants to be a pain but they are going to charge you for the labor either way and if they want to loose a service, you may be better off finding another shop anyway. The only really valuable thing you loose by not buying from a LDS is the personal service and tech help that you SHOULD get when you bought it from them. The "no charge" reg tweeks and replaced O-rings that a good shop will give.
On the other hand, I would not buy from an online dealer if I was depending on the reg for a trip that was coming up very soon because if the reg does have problems and many do need a tweek or 2 when they are new, it may take more time to get the reg back than I could afford. Then again, I would not take a brand new or just serviced reg on a trip at all. I want several easy dives on it to make darn sure it's working properly before staking a big trip on it.

The advantage of being in the NYC area is that LP actually becomes a diveshop as opposed to a mail order joint. So you can touch and feel all the equipment, test breathe it through tanks laying around, don on the BC for fit, etc.

From what I heard, LP honors the warranty exactly the same way the mfg specify it. For Scubapro, LP provides free parts for annual service, you having to pay for labor (same as the mfg.)

I think some LDS allows you to return products even after you dived with it and am not happy. I don't know what they do with that item, just as long as you were not one of the receipients of them.

Didn't Scubapro recently drop their US MSRP? I assume after the drop, LP does not have as much advantage over your LDS anymore. Maybe your LDS could even give you some break and come very close to LP's price.

If your local dive shop will not provide warranty work for your reg from Leisurepro..... then buy (2) regs. One from your local dive shop, and one from Leisurepro. Then return the one from Leisurepro to your local dive shop as a return (get your money back). Tell your local dive shop you did not like the reg from them.

Now you will have a reg that the local dive shop damn well better service for you (it is actually the one you bought from them).

That way they can't gouge you on the price.

I am tired of hearing the threats from LDS's.... its BS.

IMmostHO

Hi,

I have bought equipment from LP before. Only things like fins and other accessories. Particularly like torches.

We get pumped here for things like torches especially. Ie. I can buy a Princeton Tec torch and a Underwater Kinteics torch from LP, have it shipped to Australia, pay tax on its entry into Australia and it is still cheaper than a "good" deal from the LDS (Especially on torches like the Princton Tec Shock Wave, I have seen them for $100 USD here, that is about $200AUD).

I just got my regulator back from LP for annual service. They honored the Beuchat warranty ( free parts) and returned the old parts in less than week. When I bought the regulator, I called Beuchat to ask a question about its appearance as it was different than pictured in the Beuchat catalog. The technician told me that mine was the newest version with cosmetic plastic bits and asked me where I got it. I told him LP. He asked for the serial number and said he would register it so it would be under Beuchat warranty. I guess I have voided that warranty by taking it to an unauthorized technician, but the two authorized guys wanted twice as much for service and I only get one more year of o-rings. This is what I know about LP and Beuchat.

Evad,
Just wondering, How much did the service cost you at LP?

my understanding is the goods bought from LP are the real deal not "repros off the gray market" I really dont get this thing about fear of buying online hell i am very happy with the service I have recieved from Online retailers. Consider the reputation of the retailer...folks like LP and many others eg amazon are well known and in my experience will save you a hell of a lot of money. Now i dont have a LDS the L part is at least a 3 hr drive. So I guess where ever I go to get it it wont be Local.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom