Poseidon Jetstream Regulator too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zodiakdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The poseidon is an industrial Regulator. The valve for the release with the pruge button are on the side well to the right of your mask. I was told it is a high quality heavy duty instrument. I paid little for it, but was wondering by today's standards if it would hold up? How does it fare against other regulators? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks for the info: Scuba1@MarkBarilOnline.com
see it here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OdinJetstream

:mooner:

I got a Jetstream in 1989 and used it for 10 years before moving on to another regulator. It's been lying around in my garage ever since then with nothing done to it maintenance wise. Recently I gave it to a friend of mine who is a tech diver to use as a regulator on one of his stage bottles. He uses two Jetstreams purchased in the last year as his main regulators. He had it serviced fully and to his and the service technicians amazement it actually performed better than the newer models.

I dive Poseidon Cyklons. Like the Jetstreams, "old". But I wouldn't trade them. You don't read reviews on them cuz they got tired of giving them away for tests. Great at depth. The only downside is service, not a lot of qualified techs and the parts can be difficult to find until you find the right tech. Pretty sure they still make them new, so the correct word might not be "old". A lot of the new regs just have different gimicks. If you drop down into the regulator section you'll find a lot of lovers of the older stuff. Tried and true.

adios don O

They NEVER get old, they are not a fad like many of today's regualtors that are always re-release and re-designed to meet some new concept of what is great and what is expected from a regulator. These are the true workhoses of the regulator world, they work as good now as the day they were first introduced.

Yes, finding a decent tech can be an issue in NA but they are worth every penny.

Zodiakdiver:
The poseidon is an industrial Regulator. The valve for the release with the pruge button are on the side well to the right of your mask. I was told it is a high quality heavy duty instrument. I paid little for it, but was wondering by today's standards if it would hold up? How does it fare against other regulators? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks for the info: Scuba1@MarkBarilOnline.com
see it here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OdinJetstream

:mooner:

They are still great regs used by many tech divers, they breath better the deeper you go.

I'm using Poseidon 1st stages with Kirby Morgan 2nd stages. By far the best combo I have ever used. Parts are easy to get but working on them requires some methodical techniques. Some stuff has to be torqued to spec and some special tools are required. I'd say they are the Farraris of the regulator world. If you have a set of these regs, hang on to them.

sharkattack:
I'm using Poseidon 1st stages with Kirby Morgan 2nd stages. By far the best combo I have ever used. Parts are easy to get but working on them requires some methodical techniques. Some stuff has to be torqued to spec and some special tools are required. I'd say they are the Farraris of the regulator world. If you have a set of these regs, hang on to them.

They are the Peterbuilts of the reg world not Ferrari’s. Ferrari’s are sports cars that can’t do much work and take a lot of maintenance. Peterbuilts are long lasting workhorses with much fewer problems. :wink:

Gary D.

There are a few weird things to know about them however. It's one of the few downstream regs, and that is why the end of the hose is spring loaded, in case you get 1st stage failure, the excess air will bleed out the hose coupling, and you should still be able to use the second stage. There is also an overpressure release fitting on the bottom of the 1st stage.

Also, depending on how old your unit is, the very old ones had metric threads, so you could not put on conventional hoses without an adapter - and some of the very old ones were designed to work on much higher intermediate pressures, requiring you to re-tune your octo (if not a matching unit) to not free flow under the higher IP.

But if a unit in the last 15 years - you can pretty much ignore the second paragraph.

scubatoys:
There are a few weird things to know about them however. It's one of the few downstream regs, and that is why the end of the hose is spring loaded, in case you get 1st stage failure, the excess air will bleed out the hose coupling, and you should still be able to use the second stage. There is also an overpressure release fitting on the bottom of the 1st stage.

Also, depending on how old your unit is, the very old ones had metric threads, so you could not put on conventional hoses without an adapter - and some of the very old ones were designed to work on much higher intermediate pressures, requiring you to re-tune your octo (if not a matching unit) to not free flow under the higher IP.

But if a unit in the last 15 years - you can pretty much ignore the second paragraph.
you mean "upstream" regulators..right about the higher IP..its usually set at 170psi..

Back
Top Bottom