Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Poseidon Jetstream Regulator too old?

 


  1. #1
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Grafton Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Dives
    0 - 24

    Poseidon Jetstream Regulator too old?

    The poseidon is an industrial Regulator. The valve for the release with the pruge button are on the side well to the right of your mask. I was told it is a high quality heavy duty instrument. I paid little for it, but was wondering by today's standards if it would hold up? How does it fare against other regulators? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the info: Scuba1@MarkBarilOnline.com
    see it here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...=OdinJetstream

    :mooner:

  2. #2
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Gudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Exmouth, Western Australia
    Posts
    254
    Dives
    2,000 - 2,999
    I got a Jetstream in 1989 and used it for 10 years before moving on to another regulator. It's been lying around in my garage ever since then with nothing done to it maintenance wise. Recently I gave it to a friend of mine who is a tech diver to use as a regulator on one of his stage bottles. He uses two Jetstreams purchased in the last year as his main regulators. He had it serviced fully and to his and the service technicians amazement it actually performed better than the newer models.

  3. #3
    Divemaster
    Badge


    Has not set a "status"
     

    donooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Star, Id.
    Posts
    500
    I dive Poseidon Cyklons. Like the Jetstreams, "old". But I wouldn't trade them. You don't read reviews on them cuz they got tired of giving them away for tests. Great at depth. The only downside is service, not a lot of qualified techs and the parts can be difficult to find until you find the right tech. Pretty sure they still make them new, so the correct word might not be "old". A lot of the new regs just have different gimicks. If you drop down into the regulator section you'll find a lot of lovers of the older stuff. Tried and true.

    adios don O
    How warm is the pool today ?

  4. #4
    Solo Diver


    Has not set a "status"
     

    douglasville diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    douglasville, ga
    Posts
    187
    Dives
    200 - 499
    If anyone has any of those old Jetstreams or cyclons they like to get rid of please contact me.

  5. #5
    Registered


    Is it dive o'clock yet?
     

    Tamas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto Ontario Canada -eh?
    Posts
    2,196
    Photos
    47
    They NEVER get old, they are not a fad like many of today's regualtors that are always re-release and re-designed to meet some new concept of what is great and what is expected from a regulator. These are the true workhoses of the regulator world, they work as good now as the day they were first introduced.

    Yes, finding a decent tech can be an issue in NA but they are worth every penny.
    Tamas

  6. #6
    Scuba Instructor


    Out Diving
     

    jtivat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Michigan, Grand Rapids
    Posts
    726
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiakdiver
    The poseidon is an industrial Regulator. The valve for the release with the pruge button are on the side well to the right of your mask. I was told it is a high quality heavy duty instrument. I paid little for it, but was wondering by today's standards if it would hold up? How does it fare against other regulators? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the info: Scuba1@MarkBarilOnline.com
    see it here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...=OdinJetstream

    :mooner:
    They are still great regs used by many tech divers, they breath better the deeper you go.

  7. #7
    Scuba Instructor


    Has not set a "status"
     

    sharkattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oakley, Ca
    Posts
    308
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    I'm using Poseidon 1st stages with Kirby Morgan 2nd stages. By far the best combo I have ever used. Parts are easy to get but working on them requires some methodical techniques. Some stuff has to be torqued to spec and some special tools are required. I'd say they are the Farraris of the regulator world. If you have a set of these regs, hang on to them.

  8. #8
    Public Safety Diver


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Gary D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Post Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    4,375
    Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkattack
    I'm using Poseidon 1st stages with Kirby Morgan 2nd stages. By far the best combo I have ever used. Parts are easy to get but working on them requires some methodical techniques. Some stuff has to be torqued to spec and some special tools are required. I'd say they are the Farraris of the regulator world. If you have a set of these regs, hang on to them.
    They are the Peterbuilts of the reg world not Ferrari’s. Ferrari’s are sports cars that can’t do much work and take a lot of maintenance. Peterbuilts are long lasting workhorses with much fewer problems.

    Gary D.
    What ever you do in life do it well and do it safe.

  9. #9
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    scubatoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,510
    There are a few weird things to know about them however. It's one of the few downstream regs, and that is why the end of the hose is spring loaded, in case you get 1st stage failure, the excess air will bleed out the hose coupling, and you should still be able to use the second stage. There is also an overpressure release fitting on the bottom of the 1st stage.

    Also, depending on how old your unit is, the very old ones had metric threads, so you could not put on conventional hoses without an adapter - and some of the very old ones were designed to work on much higher intermediate pressures, requiring you to re-tune your octo (if not a matching unit) to not free flow under the higher IP.

    But if a unit in the last 15 years - you can pretty much ignore the second paragraph.
    rsingler likes this.
    The one with the moist toys wins!
    (972) 820-7667 Toll Free (877) 728-2243
    Scuba Gear & Diving Equipment

  10. #10
    Scuba Instructor


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    3,175
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by scubatoys
    There are a few weird things to know about them however. It's one of the few downstream regs, and that is why the end of the hose is spring loaded, in case you get 1st stage failure, the excess air will bleed out the hose coupling, and you should still be able to use the second stage. There is also an overpressure release fitting on the bottom of the 1st stage.

    Also, depending on how old your unit is, the very old ones had metric threads, so you could not put on conventional hoses without an adapter - and some of the very old ones were designed to work on much higher intermediate pressures, requiring you to re-tune your octo (if not a matching unit) to not free flow under the higher IP.

    But if a unit in the last 15 years - you can pretty much ignore the second paragraph.
    you mean "upstream" regulators..right about the higher IP..its usually set at 170psi..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Poseidon 300 vs Jetstream
    By ScoobieDooo in forum Regulators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
  2. Poseidon Jetstream
    By aquaoren in forum Old Unclassified Classified Ads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
  3. WANTED used Poseidon Jetstream regulator
    By sapperdale in forum Old Unclassified Classified Ads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
  4. Poseidon Jetstream / ODin Regulator
    By SeaJay in forum Old Unclassified Classified Ads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 10th, 2004, 02:11 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 1st, 2004, 04:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •