Advice on Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chester

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new reg. My current one was part of a package I bought when I first started diving (it’s a Dacor Viper) and have been relatively satisfied with it but am ready to try a new one. I do about 30 recreational dives/year, mostly in tropical conditions. I don’t plan to do any extreme diving (cave, cold water, etc).

My LDS sells Mares, Aeris, and Oceanic but the shop down the road (which I haven’t used) sells Atomic and ScubaPro. I like the shop I’ve been using but for this purchase am willing to use either (depending on the ultimate decision).

I’ve pretty much narrowed my choices to these:

Scubapro Mk25/SP S600 (or perhaps the 555 or another one.. confused a little by the SP models)
Atomic Z2
Mares Abyss, or
Oceanic Delta 4

Assuming price isn’t too much of an issue, are any of these significantly better than the others? Have I overlooked another brand/model that would be a better purchase (preformance/price)?

Any/all advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Scubapro second stages can be confusing

The R series all use the same basic unbalanced poppet design. The R190 is the full size versiona dn the R290, R295, R380 and R390 are all compact versions and differ from each other in cosmetics and in the case of the current R295, in the deletion of the adjustable flow vave. All breathe the same which is too say ok out of the box, a lot better with a good tuning, but never quite as good as the balanced poppet G, S and X series second stages.

The G250HP and S600 are identical internally, the G250HP is just the full size version while the S600 is the compact model. The S555 is an S600 without the diver adjustable inhalation control. All use the same identical poppet assembly.

The X650 uses a shorter versions of the same poppet and is mounted in a case that allows delivery of the air straight from the air barrel into the mouthpiece. Its performance is nearly identical to the S600 with equally low inhalation effort, slightly smoother airflow, but with slightly worse case fault geometry so you end up adjusting it a little more.

Price wise the G250HP gives the most bang for the buck by far with performance as good as an S600 or X650 for a lot less money. The larger case accommodates a larger diaphragm that theoretically gives more mechanical advantage. The larger case is slightly heavier, but it displaces more water as well so underwater they feel exactly the same with perhaps a bit less bubble interference with the larger G250 Case and exhaust T.

I'd seriously consider getting a Mk 17 fist stage rather than a Mk 25. It offers 177 SCFm flow rate which, while a lot less than the Mk 25's 300 SCFM, is still more than adequate for any recreational or techical diving purpose. (300 SCFM is serious overkill and you will never use the extra performance any way.) Both first stages give identical performance at the second stage even at depths well in excess of recreational limits. The Mk 17 is lighter, more compact and fully sealed making it a much better travel reg and one that is easier to maintain.

The Mk 17 is packaged with the non adjustable but balanced S555 or with the balanced and fully adjustable X650. SP packages its regulators in such a manner to create beginner, intermediate and advanced regulator packages and tries to entice you to upgrade both first and second stages to gain additional features and the Mk 17, is currently marketed as SP's intermediate first stage - a position that badly underrepresents it's exceptional capabilities.

However, any SP dealer can special order any SP first stage with any SP second stage. It costs a few percent more to buy them separately, but because the S600 is a little less expensive than the X650, a special ordered Mk 17 S600 will cost the same as a Mk 17 X650 package. A Mk 17 G250HP package will cost a lot less than either of them as the G250HP second stage is significantly less expensive.

With regards to any of the regulators from other companies that you are considering, it is hard to go wrong buying an upper end regulator from any company -they all do pretty well. The difference comes in terms of service and support after the sale. Scubapro and Aqualung are companies that both have excellent records for supporting their discontinued models for decades and both also have very large dealer networks making service easy to obtain. If you have an Aqualung dealer nearby, consider a Aqualung Legent LX Supreme. It offers performance roughly comparable to the Mk 17 G250 or S600. From maintainence perspective, I much prefer to work on SP designs, but perfomance wise the Aqualung Legend LX is a good choice too.

Chester: for recreational diving it's going to be hard to find major manufacturer that wouldn't provide a reg that's suitable.

If you are traveling, making sure that you get a reg that can be maintained abroad is often brought up. I'm not sure how many regs fail when people travel...

I dive Atomics (first on singles, now on doubles), but I bought a Salvo for a 40 cf pony bottle. The Salvo breaths fine wherever I've used it. The price difference was huge between the regs, the Atomics have nicer mouth pieces and exhausts, but would I be comfortable using a $250 reg like the Salvo? Yup. So much so that I'll probably turn it into a singles setup so I can keep my Atomics setup for doubles.

Find a reg that you like and that feel comfortable. For instance, I don't like Apeks mouthpieces (and am reminded everytime my buddie and I do OOA drills). But that's just a preference thing.

Good luck and enjoy your new regs, whichever you end up getting :)

After much thought, I bought the Z2 primary and backup today. Now I can't wait to dive with it (Puerto Rico in 2 weeks).

Thanks for all of your advice!!!!

I am happy with the Mares Abyss, but never not even consider the Rebel as Octopus!
My rebel always freeflow, Mares does not help at all (czech republic, thailand, but Mares USA tried (very kind) to help me, but actually I am not in their area, but the czech and thailand one were unbelivable).
But the Mares Abyss is good.

Mares Abyss is one fine regulator. Top of the line performer in all situations. Probably a little pricey compared to Scubapro. Atomic & Oceanic are good picks also.
If service is a factor now or in the future, i'd suggest ScubaPro. They are a very "common" dealership.
Fact is they all work recreational diving. If you plan on deeper dives, mixed gasses buy the top of the line regs. They do perform better. Forget the "bells & whistles" they are B/S.
Good luck, as I said seperate personal opinion, shine from facts and the choice becomes easier.

chester:
After much thought, I bought the Z2 primary and backup today. Now I can't wait to dive with it (Puerto Rico in 2 weeks).

Thanks for all of your advice!!!!

That's exactly what I did and do not regret it. Splurged a little to get the Z2 as an octo instead of some cheapie :)

Cheers.

-J.-

DA Aquamaster: What about the ScubaPro Mk 2 as a first stage? ScubaPro advertises the MK 2 Plus as "The simplest first stage piston mechanism that exists, with fantastic standard performance" and "unmatched reliability". In my mind, simple and reliable are good things. Less to go wrong and kill you. What does the first stage really do other than reduce the pressure so it is usable by the second stage? I haven't bought that reg yet, but I am thinking about it. In the end all I want is a reg I can trust and is NITROX capable for future certification. But I figure there must be more to it, otherwise why would other folks buy the higher end models at all? What am I missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom