What poseidon cyklon model is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachhead

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been checking Poseidon site and non exactly match both stages. I got this on ebay. Is this a CYKLON 5000 METAL?

P1010171.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010169.jpg

That is a Cyklon 300.
It has an unbalanced diaphragm first stage with all metric LP and HP ports. You can see the adapter on the HP port for an old 3/8" HP hose.

It also looks like the regulator is on the "U" port. That port was intended for the Unisuit, but it should make any difference.

From the looks of the second stage knurled finish, my estimate is that it may be a late 70's or early 80's.

I have several identical units from the early 70's.
The 300 stands for 300 bar service.

Metal...they were all metal in the 70's. We didn't have any plastic regulators back then.

As far as I know, the Cyklon 5000 Metal has the exact same second stage. The second stage parts are interchangeable. It does have a (mostly) balanced first stage.

They show up on eBay often, but I haven't paid attention to how much they are worth. Maybe you can do a back search.

I used to think of it as a great regulator. I still think it is a great second stage, but got kind of tired of dealing with the unbalanced first stage. To consistently adjust it I need a tank at the right low pressure, etc.

The second stage does like a higher IP (about 170 psi) than other second stages so it is hard to mix with other regulators.

What I have done is I am using an Aqua Lung Titan first stage with two of those second stages (a primary and an octopus). I adjusted the IP to around 170 psi and it works great. That being said, I seldom dive a single hose regulator anymore (I dive mostly double hose regulators now a days), but if I did this might be my regulator of choice.

In its configuration, it is still a good regulator, just a bit more trouble to adjust and service.

With its unbalanced diaphragm first stage, it gets easier to breath as the tank pressure goes down. The reverse of an unbalanced piston first stage (like the Scubapro MK-2). Some people find this strange, but that is just the way it works.

Luis H,

I can replace the current hose with a 40" one and make it my permanent stage reg. Or sell it, put out some extra cash and get a balanced 1st stage (Apeks DS4/Atx50).

Money not being the only issue..........what's the wiser thing to do?

We called this one the "Widow Maker"!

It's a classic piece of diving history. It deserves to be polished up and put on display. I would not dive it, but I definitely wouldn't sell it. See the width of the mouth piece, this is the original Cyklon, we used to have all the original magazine adds for it, they were destroyed in Hurricane Ivan. It means a lot to me to see these old classics restored and appreciated as true regulator design mile stones.

D.M

Scuba Tech:
We called this one the "Widow Maker"!

That sound like one of Microsoft bogus sales pitch :rolleyes:. Since the biggest competitor to their newest computer operating system is their previous operating system, Microsoft is notorious for bad mouthing there old operating system and how much better the newer one is. According to some of their sales /techs, you would be a fool if you don’t buy and upgrade to their latest OS.

I dove that regulator for a couple of decades and serviced many of them. The only complain are the final adjustments involving the combined first and second stage setup.

Its design has been around since 1958. And the second stage has not changed. Talk about well proven technology. No other second stage has been around that long. It is a fine regulator.

I personally don’t care to deal with its unbalanced first stage anymore, but I am not aware of any reason to imply that it is unsafe.

Now for an older version of that regulator look at the picture below. The short first stage on the left has only one port for the regulator. No other LP ports and no HP ports at all. No need there were no SPG back then.

The fitting on the right was a DIN connection used to join a set of doubles. The two male DIN connections in the fitting had phenolic gaskets instead of O-rings. It came from the set of doubles in the lower picture. The original hydro date is 1957.

DSCN2359.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

I know of no widows that were produced by that regulator. I dove that same model regulator for years, I still have two of them and I still dive them on occasion. I'd say it's a keeper.

And Luis, I'm very jealous of your tanks with the DIN twin tank adapter.

Thalassamania:
And Luis, I'm very jealous of your tanks with the DIN twin tank adapter.

I also have this set of Poseidon tanks. They are the most comfortable set of tanks I have ever worn (even without a wet suit in the Caribbean). In the water or out of the water they are low profile, extremely well balanced, and its center of gravity is close to your back.

The bad thing is that they are not DOT and they don’t have a burst disk. :(

I can have then re-hydro, but they will only stamp the date. Since I don’t have a compressor I need to look into some big tanks to trans fill them.

They are the strongest tanks I have ever hydro tested (always <1% permanent expansion), but it does bother me that they don’t have a burst disk.

DSCN2334.jpg

DSCN2346.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom