Assembling Apeks regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased the following items separately:

Apeks TX50 first and second stage
Apeks TX40 octopus
Suunto console

I also have a Sea-Quest Pro QD BC that came with a low pressure inflator hose....

Any hints on assembly? I'm pretty mechanically minded, and I want to learn how to manage all of my own gear, but would like some suggestions for things to watch out for, like o-rings, lubricants, overtightening, etc. I'll be doing a pool dive with the gear to check it all out before I hit the ocean with it.

regards,

Ben.

No i dont have any advice to give you.
But i am expectin to buy the same gear:
*Aqualung pro QD ( this one was vy well tested in a french diving magasine, this stab had better tests than the scuba pro glide 2000, oceanic Nemo1000, Beuchat masterlift,pro 2000 seac sub, cressi safety 109.......)
*Apeks regulator

So tell ma what you impressions are after your dive

Thank you

Fa.

( you can email me if you want )

Ben,
It's easy. Remove the port plug for the hose you want to install. The Apex I think uses a 5mm Allen key. Make sure the o-ring on the hose is LIGHTLY lubes with silicone grease. It should just be shiny, no visible grease on it.
Check the port for foreign matter, and gently screw in the hose. Tighten to about 40 inch pounds of torque. Translation: tighten by hand and then just nudge it with a wrench. Remember this is brass! If you can't unscrew it by hand, it's probably tight enough.

The high pressure port is marked as such (HP), is a different thread size than the reg hose, and has a tiny hole at the bottom. That's where your console hose goes.

Turn on the air and test for leaks and function. Loud hissing is bad.

Having said all that, I'm a believer in hose protectors. They go on before you install the hoses, and can be a bitch to put on. You may just want to have your local dive shop intstall the whole deal. It won't cost much and they should let you watch.

Neil

Disclaimer: While I consider the information above to be accurate and reasonable safe, I do not suggest that anyone work on their own scuba gear, and you must accept that if you screw it up, it's your own darn fault. :0)

Apeks Regs have all their threads in UNF as far as I am aware. Certainly, you need AF spanners for the hoses (AF = direct dimension between flats in inches) although I can't for the life of me remember what size it is (the threads are 1 x 1/2 UNF + 3 x 3/8 UNF on a TX100, 4 x 3/8 UNF on the others).

As for assembly, remove the plug, get the hose that goes in there, CHECK THE O-RING, and then screw it in. Note, do this by hand, and make sure the O-ring is seated correctly and not pinched in any way, shape, or form. When it is hand tight put the spanner (wrench in yanktalk?) on it, and nip it up - dont crank it too hard as it is brass, just enough so that you can't unscrew by hand. Nothing else too it!

For the TX50/40/20 first stage, you have the 4 ports at the top - these are all interstage pressure (for the second stages, BCD inflator, drysuit hose etc..) - and below these, one on each side of the body (roughly level with the A clamp or DIN Screw) you have the two HP ports (for the contents guage, air integrated sender unit etc..) (7/16 UNF) caution - these are exposed to tank pressure!

As all the different ports are different thread sizes it should be pretty imposible to get things wrong so good luck!

Jon T

PS Hope you enjoy the Apeks reg! I love mine.
PPS If you do damage an O-ring whilst assembling the reg, replace the damaged one with the one from the port plug.
PPPS Keep the port plugs! you will never know when you might need one!

Ben,

Remember to do an effective leak test....

I did some self assembly of my TX-100 when I bought it, adding the SPG hose and inflator hose myself

The leak test is accomplished one of 2 ways -- (1) assemble the unit to your tank and then submerge it to check for bubbles; or if you don't have a place to submerge your tank(2) spread soapy water on the reg, especially where the hoses attach to the first stage. This should enable you to easily spot any leaks because of the bubbles that will be created.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom