Seapro regulators and ATPAK BCD units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonestar Diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking for information regarding Seapro regulators and ATPAK BCd units.

I have a customer who brought this equiptment into my repair shop and I have no schematics on the gear. If anyone has information or schematics for Seapro "Failsafe" regulators ot at pack bc units I would be curious to aquire that information.

I would also like to find replacement parts (Particularly the at pac bladers) to be able to do work on the gear.

You may be out of luck with the parts for the regulator but an other company is selling the atpak now.

In 1978 Watergill became Seapro and continued to market both regulators (and the AtPac). Sometime in the mid 80's Seapro come out the Zypher 2nd stage (should have been a Submarex) showerhead type regulator. They also redesigned the twin piston FSDS 100 from a basic square 1st to more of a tubular 1st stage (visually looked like a USD Calypso). The company kind of faded in the late 80's and the AtPac is now produced by a company called DiveTek. DiveTek, Inc. - Makers of Quality Buoyancy Compensators

I'd recommend bladder replacement rather than repair. The AtPac had an odd corrogated inflator hose mounted OPV that was not really adequate. Consequently the bladder has probably seen some over pressure in it's day and more often than not they eventually blow a seam which is not a good thing during a dive. This is aggravated by the weight integration feature as the shot in them tends to bridge and does not usually all drop out as advertised.

For that matter the hose mounted inflator was also a pain. The metal bodied versions were ok but the plastic bodied versions were prone to cracking. Before BP wings were available, I was a big At Pac fan, but now a BP/wing makes a lot more sense.

At Packs....A shop I where I worked sold them and once while I was in the pool demonstrating to my class how the weight system worked, I released the trap door mechanism and....nothing happened. The weight balls just stayed stuck in the back back. I had to rap on the back pack several times to get the weights to drop.....very embarrassing moment that now brings a smile to my face.

With that aside, I enjoyed diving the At Pack too. Once adjusted it is very comfortable in the water and like the popular backpack and wing set up of today has no bulk in front of you. As DA suggested, there are so many oddities about the unit trying to keep it in service will prove to be a challenge. If I remember correctly, the l/p inflator hose was in two sections. One length attached to the regulator and ran to a plastic elbow where the corrugated hose was attached. Then the second part ran inside the hose to the inflator mechanism. I actually liked this set up, but the parts are just too uncommon. If you are able to repair or replace the bladder, I would have to suggest installing a standard overpressure/dump valve. This is normally the type of project a DYI personality would tackle as the time a shop technician has to spend on it make it cost prohibitive.... fair dues to you for giving it a shot.

I will be interested to hear the outcome, please keep us posted.

couv

I bought one new, and two others used, and always kept one working. The shot system is really a double edged sword. Out of the water, there's no way to carry the shot separately. So it particularly heavy too, when you have a tank attached (or twins) which brings it to 120lbs!. In the water, its sweet! Super clean. In fact, there really isn't anything as clean. Nothing hanging. I actually plan to throw away the bladder and hose, since the inflator hose is cracking on my last ATPAC. However, I'm planning to look at threading on a brand new wing from another manufacturer. I've got two or three of the nylon back systems and collected about 60 lbs of shot from all the used systems. The integrated weight system is super hard nylon back case. None of any of my back cases have worn out.

The key to proper shot maintenance is to simpy shake before each dive to make sure the shot is fluid and make sure you dump it out once a year or so and lubricate it. I have had to dump the lead shot during a real emergency ascent once. It poured right out.

Bottom line, its painfully heavy out of the water with twins especially. But if clean rigging is what you want, I can't think any cleaner weight system. I admit I prefer old school equipment thats tried and true. Perhaps that's why I still snow ski on my 207cm GS skis too! :dork2: but Nothing bust through the Cascade crud and hauls arse down a steep slope, like them. I'm an old fart that leaves the short ski drivers in a my plume. The point is, some of that old stuff, does have some unique appeal when it comes to performance. In about 10 years, I'll probably have to go lighter and shorter on my equipment choices, but I'm not their yet.

We just added marbles to the shot. Seemed to work although I never dumped it. Part of my pre-dive routine was to turn the BC upside down. I also had a jacket for mine - it had a big velcro front closure.

One of my LDS's - Scuba Sciences in Phoenix - may still have parts for them.

Greetings,

I have been away from diving for quite some time (about 25 years!), but still have much of my old equipment. One of my BCs is an ATPAK. Since I will not be using it and because there is interest in these BCs, I would be willing to part with mine. If anyone is interested, please PM me for details.

Cheers,
Marvi

I might be interested in your AtPac for nostogial and to show the young Lads how we used to do it

Steve

If you type in seapro on ebay you can find a seller with new atpacks... or try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-At-Pac-BC-S...275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518d3403cb

I loved my seapro travel bc... weighed under 4 lbs, had integrated weight pockets in front and folded into a small bag. I think this may have been one of the 1st weight integrated, travel bc's of it's kind... bought it in 1989 and it finally wore out in the mid-90's. By then, zeagle came on the market with integrated bc's. NOt as light or travel friendly, but a great bc just the same.

Last edited:
Waylanders info is pretty thorough. Last address I had for them (Dive Tek) is 7281 Garden Grove Blvd #8 Garden Grove, CA 92841 PH #714-379-9060 or 888-421-9938 it was good as of 2008 or so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom