Dacor Viper Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
What do people think of the Dacor Viper Metal?? I like the idea of the single hose pivot that can turn 170 degrees. It makes sense-if all the ports are mounted on a swivel then when you pull on your dive guages to look at them, that force will be transfered to your mouthpiece via the combined first stage swivel. The second stage has a very low "clutter factor" doesn't obstruct your view, and I like the side air exhaust. You can trade in your old regulator at Diversdirect.com for 150 bucks off a new Viper Metal-I thought I might recommend someone to do this and I wanted to hear what folks think about the Viper(only the metal though). I own an Apeks TX50 and TX40 and a Poseidon Jestream with octo-they are both wonderful.......I'm just curious about the Viper.

Buff, we recently bought new regs and were looking at both the Dacor Viper and the Mares Abyss. Here were a couple of things we found:

1) Vipers tend to leak from that cool-looking side port.
a)The Equipment Tech at the shop told me of many Vipers that have crossed his bench for repair due to leaking.
b)Two weeks ago during a Rescue Diver course I was teaching I had the opportunity to buddy breathe and AA with a fellow who had a Viper. Talk about a wet breather! If I didn't have good airway control I could have swallowed a lot of water that weekend!

2) Flow rate on the Abyss is better.

So far I have been to 110' with the Abyss, upside down, etc., and it breathed as dry and easy as if I was sitting on the dock testing it out.

So in conclusion, as cool as it looks, I'd stay away from the Viper.

~SubMariner~

Supposedly, as you've no doubt read, the Viper Metal is an improvement over the original Viper that fixes problems such as the wet breathing. Perhaps SubMariner's experience was with an older Viper.

I have heard the Viper breathes wet. But I have also read that the Viper metal have fixed this problem. To what degree is the question.
I see from a photo that the Viper and Viper America(like Captain America-a regulator to appeal to the patriot in all of us!!!!) DON'T have the first stage swivel port. I hope Dacor does well. It seems that there are fewer and fewer dive manufactueres-Mares and Aqualung being the biggest. I'ts nice to have a little competition - at least for the consumer.

Oh Good!!!!!!!! Lots of "different" companies to "choose" from all having the same equipment but in different colours. I wish someone would "walk softly and carry a big stick" in the dive industry but I don't expect that from this administration-I don't expect anything insightful or progressive from this administration....

Sorry about the political ranting.

Buff,

You already have the best regulators in the world, why would you consider changing? Just curious.

ID

Buff,
The flaw in the Viper Metal and the Viper Tec has been fixed. It all had to do with a spring the DFC (dynamic flow control) which is a vein in the side of the regulator that delivers air faster to you before filling up the rest of the box. When inquiring about these regulators ask if the repair person has placed the spring into the regulator. If they say they don't know, don't buy the reg because they obiviously have no clue.

One thing to consider, my lds can price match with diver's direct and sports chalet on Mares and Dacor products, so why not buy from the little guy?

Please visit their online store at http://www.thescubaco.net.

Also, the way that diver's direct presents the information is kinda misleading. It is supposed to be $190 off the Viper America, $185 off of the Viper Metal, and $45 off the octo. They present it as $100 off the America, 150 off of the Metal and $30 off the Octo.
It works out to pretty much be the same price as your lds.

I spent last night checking out the Dacor Viper & Fury at a local shop (who will also match prices with any catelog).

According to the salesperson (non-commisioned; I like it that way, so they don't have to push one or another brand, and they had 4 brands), Dacor has fixed the flow problem. The other "thumbs-down" mentioned in Rodale's was the mouthpiece. The mouthpeice was also been changed, it angles a bit down, to reduce fatigue. The other option which my hubby is looking at, is to put a comfort-flex mouthpiece on on anyway.

Next week I have a dive scheduled to test them out, and I'll let you know what I think. I'm a relative newbie, but I will be able to report on the exhaust issues and the "wet" breathe. Also, I'll check on the up-side down option too. --Starfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom