Reg Technicians - What do you set the cracking effort to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually set customer regs to 1.0 on the magnahelic.

When I sit down and really take the extra time, I can set my own personal regs to about .4 - .5.

What does everyone else set customer and personal regs too?

Also, what IP do you usually set it to? I've found that 145 is a bit too high and have backed off to around 135 - 140.

Just curious to see how everyone else is doing things.

EZ,

What scale magnehelic do you use? I've been looking at buying one - PeterBuilt sells either 5"-0"-5", or 0"-3" models, and I want to get an equivalent metric one.

I don't know if they even make a metric version.

You want a magnehelic that will do both (-) and (+). You need the (+) to check cracking effort and the (-) to check how easy the exhaust is. I use the -5 to +5 model.

Something I dont' understand (Vance's book is on it's way but until then!) is why you need a 5-0-5 scale if you're only measuring to 1" or so - wouldn't a smaller scale be more accurate? Would the 2-0-2 model be better?

Dwyer does have metric gauges. Why metric anyway? Because I'm more familiar with metric scales having been raised (and eventually moving back to!) a metric country.

www.scubatools.com has it listed as a "0 - 3" magnahelic. It does not mention the "-3". You need the full range.

You really don't need a magnahelic with a range greather than 3. If the reg can't be set to breath at the very least a 1.5 - 2.0, then get rid of it any buy a new one. I set my primary regs any where from .4 - 1.0, backups to 1.0 - 1.5.

The problem is that I don't think they make a magnahelic with a range of just 3.

On purely recreational and generally shallow units I set IP between 125 and 130 Cracking on primary 1st to 1" Safe second to 1.5"

On the higher end models and tec rigs I set IP to 135 to 140 and cracking on both to 1"

Question for you are you seeing alot of units come in with IP set around 90 to 100. Lately I have had a bunch of them and am wondering why?

Hallmac

Hallmac once bubbled...
Question for you are you seeing alot of units come in with IP set around 90 to 100. Lately I have had a bunch of them and am wondering why?

Can't say that I've see an IP that low. Most are around 125 - 135. We get mostly ScubaPro regs around here and they seem to hold their IP adjustments very well.

I think a lot of people are playing around with thier IP (setting it low, around 100 or so) because they are paranoid about free flow. A lot of technical guys like really low IPs because they worry about free flow.

I set my Mk25 to 145 and felt it was in fact too high, it would free flow on occasion. 130 - 140 seems like a good compromise. (125 is the minimum recommended by ScubaPro.)

I

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

I think a lot of people are playing around with thier IP (setting it low, around 100 or so) because they are paranoid about free flow. A lot of technical guys like really low IPs because they worry about free flow.

I actually had a unit where the owner had put in a heavier spring behind the second stage seat and then wondered why it breathed hard.

Hallmac

Back
Top Bottom