Air 2 Generation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubabuni

Reaction score
We have 2 sets of Air 2's purchased at different times. Is there a simple way to tell what generation each of them are, other than calling Scubapro?
TIA---

I am at work so this is off the top of my head, but:

Generation one Air 2's are distinctly different and frankly ugly looking. (And SP no longer provides support for them.)

Generation two Air 2's have a diaphragm purge cover that screws on outside the housing, rather than a smaller round cover that screws inside the housing. The purge cover is also prevented from screwing itself off by a metal clip that has a tab that slides between splines on the cover. The buttons are I think exclusive orange colored (and usually badly faded).

Generation three and four Air 2's are less obvious to tell apart, but it also matters very little as they are functionally identical. Among the minor differences you may find are the presence or abscense of a pin to retain the diaphragm purge cover - although I am not 100% sure that change in and of itself differentiates a 3 from a 4. I have seen buttons in red and grey but I am not sure if that was a defining trait of a 3 versus a 4 or just a minor change or option somewhere along the way. Either way the buttons interchange and are rectangular in shape.

The latest version of the Air 2 is cosmetically very different with rounded buttons and a much more curved case. It is actually slightly harder to work on due to the new S600ish looking cover - making it a bit of a step in the wrong direction. I am not a big fan of changes just for the sake of style.

TUSA markets a version of the generation 3 with rounded blue buttons called the Duo Air. It is actually my favorite Air 2 variant.

I am not any kind of expert, but from my limited research into the same question, I found that the Gen2 varient has the inflate button directly inline with the inflator hose and it is rather close to the edge of the unit. The Gen3 unit sems to have a ribbed section that is inline with the inflator hose and the inflate button is set further away from the edge.

Hope this is correct.

I just bought a SP G.4 AIR2. According to SP Websitehttp://www.scubapro.com/#,en_PH;contenthandler,22872,. G.4 is the latets revision of AIR2 on supply list. But there was some diff. about the photo on web. A small RED round buttom for BC inflation & GRAY buttom for air release.

Back
Top Bottom