US Divers Calypso history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone want to give a Readers Digest version of the history of the metal bodied US Divers Calypso regulators? Not a lot of information on them out on the web.

The first regulator I ever bought was a US Divers Calypso in 1972. The piston first stage yoke was not removable, it was forged to the body, it had an HP port, and I think a LP port at each end. The second stage had an all metal cover, snaps for a neckstrap(included) and no provision for user adjustment. I was sixteen at the time, and it worked fine for me. The Scubapro reg. of that year had the adjustment knob on the second stage, just like today. Not the history, but maybe a small part.:)

Thanks for the info Jeff - I wasn't sure if the neckstrap was an optional accessory or included.

I've just picked up a Calypso III and Calypso IV for my collection (they seem to be an overlooked item with all the emphasis on double hose regs). The Calypso III is new old stock, never been in the water! Can't wait for it to arrive.

What other metal-bodied Calypso models were there? I've only seen the III, IV and VI mentioned anywhere. Presumably there's a I, II and V floating about.

gentlemen,

not to forget the model with the built-in j-valve. rod stewart was still a true rocker at the time. and then he sold out to disco . . . .

k

Was the J valve first stage a specific model, or was it an upgrade option across several models? I've seen the J valve kit offered seperately.

Wasn't that before Rod Stewarts debut? I'm going to have to dig up some old pics, 'cause I'm thinking my calypso might of had that feature, it sounds familiar. Funny, I remember my buddys Scubapro Mk.7 with the audible reserve warning better than my own set up!

Ben,
I have a manual for the Calypso J and it has no model number like III or VI, just 1084-00. The IV is 1083-00. I always just assumed any Calypso could convert to J with that kit.
Neil

Hi neil,

Thought your last name sounded familiar on the phone - I'm the guy who just bought the Calypso III from you on eBay :)

Ben,
Glad to see this reg going to an enthusiatic collector like you. I noticed you had picked up another Calypso model on ebay. I've never seen any originals, but they must be out there somewhere. Happy hunting and collecting!
Neil

Hi Ben / Neil,
Can you all please give me some more information on the Calypso IV first stage? What is good about this 1st stage, LP and HP port etc. Thankyou very much in advance

michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom