Atomic Z2 leaking at the first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Atomic Z2 that is a little more than a year old. When I hook it up to the tank there is a steady stream of bubbles that comes out of the black plastic ring that seperates the HP Ports from the LP ports. Does anyone know what's in there that might be leaking? I got it for a gift and I know it was brought on Leisurepro (unfortunately the reciept is long gone so I can't get the warranty service). There is an Atomic Dealer in town but not having bought it there, I am hesitant to take it in for service. I doubt it is something I can fix myself so my question is, if it seems like it might be an expensive fix, should I just send it back to Leisurepro and have them service it or take the chance on the LDS? Any suggestions?

Sounds like you have a leak at the ambient chamber. There are only two places that can come from, the HP o-ring on the piston (very likely) or the piston head o-ring (less likely). If you want to know for sure which it is you could connect the reg to a tank, put an IP gauge on it, pressurize then turn the tank valve off, and see what happens to the IP. If it stays the same then your HP o-ring is leaking. It doesn't really matter as the cure is the same; a rebuild.

It's not a big deal, anyone who works on Atomic regs can do it. LP supposedly offers the same warranty as manufacturer on all their products so this might be a good time to look into that. They would have a record of your purchase if it was only a year ago, and supposedly Atomic has a 2 year service interval, so maybe they'll rebuild it for free.

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised it needs a rebuild so quickly since I take really good care of it. I recently switched over to HP tanks, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Switching to HP cylinders has nothing to do with it. I would contact LiesurePro as they probably have a record of the sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom