Abyss 22 and Abyss 42 (Nitrox)??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsh426

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and am interested in purchasing my first reg. A local dive shop is carries mares products and I have been looking at the abyss models. Since the release of the 42 model the shop has been selling the 22 at a discounted price of $300, $600 for the 42. From what i have found 300 is a pretty good price for the 22, would it really be advantageous of me to spend the extra money and get the 42? The other question I have is, is the 22 nitrox compatible?

I have been using and servicing Mares regs for a long time. The MR42 is easier for a tech to tune, as it has a side access port on the second stage. The first stage is also considerably smaller. I personally own a V42 Proton Metal, and it is an excellent product.

So...My suggestion is to buy the MR22 as that is an excellent price! The MR22 Abyss is widely considered as one of the most durable regs on the market. One of my closest friends owns two of them, and they never receive TLC. They both keep on working fine, right up until my annual servicing of them.

As far as nitrox goes, any reg is fine for recreational blends. Any of the Mares models are fine up to 40%.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom