New Aqua-lung Titan LX Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miamijaaz

Reaction score
I've heard some great buzz regarding this regulator from at least two local dive shops in the past week.

Given that I'm in the market for a regulator, does anyone have any information about this regulator, good or bad, that they can share?

Thanks in advance.

My wife has one with about 20 dives on it. Her only complaint is that sometimes it honks a little when it's dry-breathed. Or in other words, when breathe from it before entering the water. As soon as it's wet, the honking stops completely, even if it's out of the water. And it doesn't do it all the time, but boy do I get some evil looks from her when it does. :) Other than that she likes it alot due to it's size, ease of breathing, lack of adjustments, and dry breathing. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but will next weekend, maybe.

My friend and I recently bought the Titan LX setup and I am very happy with mine as well as my friend. They have a recall going on to replace the diaphram. I like mine. Breathes easy all the way down to <100 PSI.......Pool tested it to next to nothing and was very pleased. Have approx 20 dives on it so far with one down to 120 feet. East breather in any orientation.

I have a Titan LX too. Works fine. Doesn't honk for me (did when it was new, but doesn't really do it much now). It's a nicely designed 2nd stage. Some people apparantly don't like the "comfo-bite" mouthpiece (and they give you an extra "normal" one in the pkg), but I liked it a lot, and found that it helped drymouth because it seems to trap saliva in the part of the mouthpiece that's against the front part of your upper palate. It's a very cost-effective reg, with a balanced 2nd stage that makes it easy to breath at depth, though otherwise relatively basic, and if you can live without 100 gazillion ports on the 1st stage, then it'll serve you well.

Note though that I just received a recall notice from Aqua-lung for replacement of the 2nd stage diaphram. Supposedly to fix something that probably won't happen, but might cause a breathing restriction.

-Simon

Breathes fine (i.e. dry) upside down and sideways. Well, ok, very slightly wet but almost not noticeable -- just a hint of saltiness on your tongue.

I am currently considering this Reg against the ATX-50. Both come highly recomended by my LDS and have been demonstrated to me in a dry environment.

I have a tendency to over breath rental quality regulators due to nervousness and being a novice.

My problem comes in that I can't find any sites that list prices. How do I find out the MSRP? I know the ATX-50 is more than the Titan LX but exactly How much more? and is the increased price really worth the increased cost? Especially for a new diver and his first rig?

Thanks for any info.

Are they both available at you LSD? If so, then what they are charging should be MSRP. I have to check at work tomorrow and let you know what is MSRP is in the dealer pricelist.

Best way to decide which one is better is to take both regs on test dives. See which one is more comfortable. Simply diving with them in a pool will give you a pretty good idea (can't get deep...but at least you will get a feel for them.)

As for the honking thing with the Titan LX..I remember the older Titan did this also. Is this something with AquaLung?

Originally posted by SpyderTek
I am currently considering this Reg against the ATX-50.

Hi miamijaaz,

My wife just bought her regs. She was looking at the Titan until she found out she could get the Apeks Tx-1oo for $100 more.No Contest She is very happy with her new regs. She tried a lot of different reulators before buying. There were very few that she liked.

Hope this helps, Tavi

Right. I understand the importance of trying something out before purchasing as the best way to make a choice. But here's the rub; How do you try out this type of quipment before purchasing? Is a dive store really going to let you "borrow" or even "rent" a piece of equipment that you are going to put in your mouth (get germs and teeth marks in) then bring it back and say, "You know what? I Think I like the other one better"

The Regs available for rental are all very low performance regs. Seems to me the only way to try something out is to find a scuba friend that already has what you are wanting to test and then hope and pray they are a good enough friend to you to swap spit. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Spydertek

Actually SpyderTek (cool name, by the way) most shops to have somekind of "try before you buy" program. Sometimes, they have one of all their best selling regs set aside just so people can try them first. Or, they may take a reg right out of the box, and add the octo, gauges and BC hose from one of their rental sets.

Our shop does it both ways. We charge the same rental fee as a rental reg..but we also require a cash deposit or credit card charge before the reg leaves the store. The credit card is then refunded once the reg is returned (or, if it is a regular customer, we simply keep the info until he brings it back or buys it). But..it does have to be brought back in "like new" condition. If the mouthpiece is bit through..the customer does have to pay for a new one.

Ask at you LDS and see what their policy is. Most shops understand that people want to try the gear before they drop the bucks..kind of like cars. If they want the sale..they will probably arrange something.

Hope this helps..and good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom