Is it ok to soak Reg with Aqualung ACD or Oceanic DVT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knyc2000

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Aqualung Legend ACD, when cleaning the regulator I thought with the ACD it will be safe to soak the whole reg in fresh water...
I have done this a few times and my reg is still working well.
However, recently I start to worry about this practice and I would like to get some advise from others about this.

What do you think? Have I done something that will break the reg?

Thanks in advance...

Ken

I would not put any reg into the water with out a tank hooked up to it with the gas on. This is just my 2 cents

I have been soaking my regs in fresh water since I started diving in 95. The few times I did not soak my reg, the 1st stage started to corrrode. I have never had an issue related to soaking. Although I have not had an issue, BlueWaterDiving has a good point. It is safer to soak the regs hooked up to gas. Since I like to soak the first stage, that may be somewhat difficult.

Some regs relax the seal on the second stage so water could reach the inner parts. I would ask someone that knows your reg to be aware of an concerns.

Should you soak the 1st stage, make sure the dust cap is on and the seal is good.

I am sure those things (Aqualung ACD or Oceanic DVT) are OK as long as you put a good water tight dust cap in front of them.

In other words, looking at the design I would not trust them with anything but a casual drop of water…and even then you need to dry the surface before you hook it up to a tank or you will drive that drop of water into the regulator.

Exactly, I hope the OP did not mean he was soaking his first stage without a watertight dust cap. True enough, the best way to soak a regulator is hooked up to a tank. However, if using a tank is impractical and you are concerned that water will enter the second stage, just hang the regulator hoses over a broom handle with the stages in a bucket of water.

One important thing to remember after soaking: be sure to completely dry both stages externally and internally (by purging air through it) prior to storing.

Just get a 6cf bottle hook it up and let them soak:D

I soak my regs (Poseidon) in fresh water for 20-30 minutes after each dive (all salt water).

I check the dust cap (Note that it's a DUST cap, not a WATER cap.) and make sure the rig is dry before I put it away.

The ACD seals after it is removed from the tank.
I copied some info from tha aqualung site, take a look.
Auto-Closure Device (ACD) seals the regulator’s inlet fitting, both Yoke and DIN, as soon as the regulator is removed from the cylinder valve.

• This will keep water and contaminants out of the regulator’s first stage during rinsing and storage.
• It allows the first stage to maintain peak performance over time
• The first stage will retain its internal lubrication longer
• Makes the first stage safer for nitrox use

Just hook it up to a bottle with air/under pressure an let them sit for as long as you can't. Do I want to trust my expensive regulators with a $1.00 dust cap? I don't think so!

Do you trust the tank connection to a $0.50 O-ring (actually they are more like $0.02 if you buy them in bulk, for the same O-ring). :rolleyes:

It is safer to soak with a pressurized regulator, but the price of the cap is irrelevant.

I have soaked regulators with the conical shape dust caps (with a good O-ring) and with some of the old solid rubber dust caps (back in the 70’s) and never had one leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom