First stage leak Fix.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy and I were diving yesterday and first tank I had a leak, tried the 2nd tank and same issue.
It was a small leak so we went out diving and not much air was wasted, after our surface interval, we put on the second tank. HUGGEEE leak, like air was just fumming out at a high rate.
We checked out the first stage and just before the hoses, there was the leak. We spit on it to check it out and tried to tighten the part where the valve goes onto the tank.
but it wasnt that.

What's the fix for it?

I'm just inquiring, I'm getting a new first/second/oct on wednsday but what's the fix for it if it happens again?

Attachments

• leak.JPG
    leak.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 419
Sounds like the yoke adapter may be loose. Try tightening the nut in the center of the yoke (you can see it in your pic). Or you can hook it up to a tank, pressurize it and then rotate the body of the first stage clockwise. See if that helps.

We did try that before the first dive, it still leaked, i think we screwed it up more cause putting on the 2nd tank, the leak was worse

Or you can hook it up to a tank, pressurize it and then rotate the body of the first stage clockwise. See if that helps.

That's like the only thing we didnt try, but is there anything else that could be done?
like open it up type dealy?

Normally i use first stages with environmental seals, but this one and the one in the picture doesnt have the seal.

I highly doubt that WOULD be it though...

If the problem is the yoke nut seal, tightening it while it is under pressure and leaking is likely to just damage the o-ring (more). To fix it correctly, remove the yoke nut, replace the o-ring, and reinstall the yoke nut with the proper torque. A special yoke nut socket will be required to do the job properly.

If the problem is the yoke nut seal, tightening it while it is under pressure and leaking is likely to just damage the o-ring (more). To fix it correctly, remove the yoke nut, replace the o-ring, and reinstall the yoke nut with the proper torque. A special yoke nut socket will be required to do the job properly.

What he said, but if you are in a pinch for a torque wrench, you may use a wrench but I would recommend you only tighten it slightly as if you tighten it to much you will just squeeze the O-ring you have replaced and possible damage it.

I would just say, be thankful that it didn't go while on your dive.

What they both said….but looking at the picture, If my old eyes are not deceiving me your regulator is in serious need of a good cleaning. It could just be a case of pictures do lie, but from the looks of it, you have corrosion issues. Time for a trip to your LDS OR:

If you are into DIY, soak that baby overnight in warm soapy water with all the plugs removed. Then disassemble it and bathe all the metal parts in 50/50 vinegar and water. Replace all the seats, filter and o-rings. Below is my usual cut and paste advice on Self Service.

I know my fellow Usual Suspects will disagree with me on this issue, but yoke adapter doesn't necessarily need to be torque down with a torque wrench. Just like hoses with o-rings, torque them down hand tight, plus about an eight to a quarter turn more.

Servicing your own regulator:

Welcome to the DIY club. The first thing is to start off with a service manual or two. Both service manuals usually discussed here are great; Vance Harlow's "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair" http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

and the Scuba Tools book, "Regulator Savvy" http://www.scubatools.com/ are well worth the money.
I own both and recommend getting one of each. If you are dead set on getting only one, then Vance's is a little more suitable for the DIY guy while the ScubaTools book is more suitable for the shop worker. ScubaTools has some pretty handy tools too, so if you order from there pay a few extra bucks and get the bullets, spanners, and regulator specific tools that you need with your first order and save on shipping. Get a few old regulators like the ones you will be servicing from eBay or Craigs list and practice. After just one or two seasons of servicing your own gear, you will have recovered your investment. Here are a couple of websites with tons of regulator specific manuals:

Regulator manuals

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/

Good luck,

couv

Good luck on getting parts for that Dacor Formula (260) first stage. It wasn't exactly a great reg to begin with.
I can't quite see from the picture but if it is the 360 model then it probably is worth the trouble of finding the parts.

New first stage, reg, oct, dry whip and gauge

Problem fixed.. hopefully :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom