Anyone use a 40 inch "long hose" on their primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Had an "interesting" airshare experience on the weekend that convinced my fiancee that a long hose was useful after all (she was on the receiving end while on the surface - not going into details for now). At the moment she's diving with the standard hoses that come with Apeks regs (short primary hose, slightly longer yellow octopus hose). All of her diving is strictly recreational within NDLs, <100', no overheads, etc.

She's agreed to try the long hose and the bungeed backup, but does not want to go with anything that involves the hose crossing the chest and behind the neck a-la Hogarthian/DIR (one step at a time I guess). What alternatives are there for "long" hose routing? I suggested a 40" hose (or reusing the octopus hose if long enough - 39" I think), passing down her right side, under her arm, then back up to the mouth with a 90 degree adapter or swivel if necessary, and she's willing to try it. This way, she has a longer primary hose than the 29" or so stubby one she's using at the moment, we'll both be diving with a "donate from the mouth, bungeed backup" approach, and the additional failure point being introduced by a swivel or adapter is something we can live with given her purely recreational profiles. She currently rents BCs, so until we buy one of her own, I'm not sure how the hose will sit under her arm, or if it can be tucked away, use a console hose clip, etc to control any slack until needed.

Ultimately I would like her to adopt a 5' hose, but in the meantime... anyone using a hose configuration like this? Please try and keep the feedback constructive.

You have described my wife's rig almost perfectly. We were both diving this set up until I recently changed.

* She has the same diving profile.

* She will not have anything to do with some long gangly hose that routes across her chest and around her neck. She's dealing with a drysuit hose already across her chest, add a long hose? No way.

* She currently uses a standard BC (Libra... essentially a Balance for chicks)

* She uses an AirSource - so no Octo to deal with. Fat chance she'll every part with that.-

* Because of the AirSource, she donates her primary in OOA while she goes to her AirSource. Because of this, we put a 40" on her Atomic B1, which runs under her right arm to a 90 degree swivel.

We sort of got the idea from the Sherwood Maximus routing. I believe they used to (or still do) come with a longer hose, and a swivel. She is very comfortable with the set up - just loves it. Comfy, no pulling, no in-your-face OOA, etc.

I'd be hard pressed to get her to lose the AirSource for a necklace. The 40" is perfect for the under-arm move...no flailing hose, etc.

Too funny. Moving out to that 5 footer inch by inch, huh? Lemmie guess, split fins? Wifie loves hers... :)

K

Is there any need with a hose this length to tuck excess hose into the BC, or clip it or anything? Not sure how far below her arm the 40" hose would sit (not too far I guess - 20" down and 20" up)... just worried it would flap in the wind.

We don't clip off - but I'll take a look this weekend again - now you got me thinking.

I do remember the hose chicken wingin' it last time we went out, but it was because she didin't go under the arm. I pointed it out, she threw her arm through the loop (over the downwart part of the loop) and it stayed put.

She dives with her hands folded in front of her, so her right elbow sort of pins it in.

K

I've seen a few 'old school' uk divers with a 5ft hose with the excess tucked into a couple of bungies or a length of inner tube on the tank. It needs a tug to deploy and it is hard to restow but it is another option.

Has she tried the Hog. method? It definitely looks worse that it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom