Different reg for warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg G.

Reaction score
I recently relocated to southern Florida from Seattle. My Sherwood Oasis has served me well for 300 dives, 6+ years. However, I've noticed recently that my mouth gets terribly dry while breathing from it during a dive. It did not do that in the chilly waters of Puget Sound. In fact, the Oasis is designed so that it will collect a little condensation and "moisten" the air coming through the second stage. Could it be that this does not function well in warm water? Or is there something else wrong?

To be honest, I always thought that the Oasis *was* Sherwood's warm water reg. I have the Blizzard, which is essentially the Oasis, but with an additional gold-plated heat sink in the 2nd stage to prevent free flow in cold water.

I have used the Blizzard exclusively since '91 in cold fresh water (down to about 35F water temp) and in warm salt water (and everything else in between) with no problems.

Are you by any chance using EANx? Some people find the additional O2 is very drying on their mouths/throat. Another reason may be that your current air supply may be less moist dryer than you are used to; perhaps their air is literally a little dryer coming out of their fill station.

Last but not least, perhaps you are a bit dehydrated in the warmer climate?

Just some thoughts...

~SubMariner~

I am using Nitrox, but have been for the last couple of years, didn't notice any difference in the NW.

More likely it's the latter two reasons you suggested, a change in fill stations and being dehydrated. When I was in the NW, I had my tanks filled exclusively at a particular shop in Seattle, at least since I was EAN certified, which would have been the last 2 or 3 years. I usually didn't worry too much about being hydrated, just went easy on the coffee and took a couple glugs of water prior to diving, then drank lots (of water) afterwards, mostly just to get the taste of seawater out of my mouth. I'll try concentrating on being more hydrated prior to the dive and see if that helps.

Originally posted by SubMariner
...Are you by any chance using EANx? Some people find the additional O2 is very drying on their mouths/throat. Another reason may be that your current air supply may be less moist dryer than you are used to; perhaps their air is literally a little dryer coming out of their fill station.

Last but not least, perhaps you are a bit dehydrated in the warmer climate?

Just some thoughts...

~SubMariner~

Greg, your Oasis should be right at home in the warm water. In my opinion SubMariner nailed it right on. IF it's you, being slightly more dehydrated than back home, be careful! Dehydration can be a major predeposition to DCS, (you probably knew that). Anyway, my Oasis has done extremely well in 42 degree freshwater and 83 degree salty stuff. Take care and good luck!
Norm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom