Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Different reg for warm water?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

I recently relocated to southern Florida from Seattle. My Sherwood Oasis has served me well for 300 dives, 6+ years. However, I've noticed recently that my mouth gets terribly dry while breathing from it during a dive. It did not do that in the chilly waters of Puget Sound. In fact, the Oasis is designed so that it will collect a little condensation and "moisten" the air coming through the second stage. Could it be that this does not function well in warm water? Or is there something else wrong?

Victim of The Pogrom

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    To be honest, I always thought that the Oasis *was* Sherwood's warm water reg. I have the Blizzard, which is essentially the Oasis, but with an additional gold-plated heat sink in the 2nd stage to prevent free flow in cold water.

I have used the Blizzard exclusively since '91 in cold fresh water (down to about 35F water temp) and in warm salt water (and everything else in between) with no problems.

Are you by any chance using EANx? Some people find the additional O2 is very drying on their mouths/throat. Another reason may be that your current air supply may be less moist dryer than you are used to; perhaps their air is literally a little dryer coming out of their fill station.

Last but not least, perhaps you are a bit dehydrated in the warmer climate?

Just some thoughts...

~SubMariner~

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

I am using Nitrox, but have been for the last couple of years, didn't notice any difference in the NW.

More likely it's the latter two reasons you suggested, a change in fill stations and being dehydrated. When I was in the NW, I had my tanks filled exclusively at a particular shop in Seattle, at least since I was EAN certified, which would have been the last 2 or 3 years. I usually didn't worry too much about being hydrated, just went easy on the coffee and took a couple glugs of water prior to diving, then drank lots (of water) afterwards, mostly just to get the taste of seawater out of my mouth. I'll try concentrating on being more hydrated prior to the dive and see if that helps.

Originally posted by SubMariner
    ...Are you by any chance using EANx? Some people find the additional O2 is very drying on their mouths/throat. Another reason may be that your current air supply may be less moist dryer than you are used to; perhaps their air is literally a little dryer coming out of their fill station.

Last but not least, perhaps you are a bit dehydrated in the warmer climate?

Just some thoughts...

~SubMariner~

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Thumbs up Oasis Reg

Greg, your Oasis should be right at home in the warm water. In my opinion SubMariner nailed it right on. IF it's you, being slightly more dehydrated than back home, be careful! Dehydration can be a major predeposition to DCS, (you probably knew that). Anyway, my Oasis has done extremely well in 42 degree freshwater and 83 degree salty stuff. Take care and good luck!
    Norm