Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: US Divers Aquarius reg

 


  1. #1
    ScubaBoard Enthusiast


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    1,127

    US Divers Aquarius reg

    I have a friend that has an old US Divers steel tank and an Aquarius regulator.

    I don't know anything about the Aquarius regs - can anyone enlighten me about them. Do they have any value? Were they any good? Worth rebuilding for say stage or deco bottle use?

  2. #2
    Scuba Instructor


    Wants to get in the water!!!
     

    LUBOLD8431's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,027
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499

    Old... very old. USD still has parts for th...

    Old... very old. USD still has parts for them, so you can overhaul them, but if your second stage housing is cracked, then you will be upgrading the entire second stage. (Which, BTW, will happen eventually)

    IMO, not worth it.
    Frank Lubold
    SSI Instructor (Retired)
    Authorized Service Technician
    Salesperson


  3. #3
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Scubaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,356

    Check the age of the regulator

    "Aquarius" is a model name used by US Divers since the 70's. There was a recall for Aquarius regulators built in 1976 and 1977.

    New, quality regulators can be had cheaply - a second hand regulator is going to be worn, and not be covered by warranty - so you might as well buy a new, modern greymarket regulator for the same money if you're considering secondhand.

  4. #4
    Senior Moderator


    Mama said,"don't
    get wet"
     

    roturner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands, Netherlands
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    5

    [QUOTE][i]ScoobieDooo once bubbled... [/i][...

    ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
    I have a friend that has an old US Divers steel tank and an Aquarius regulator.

    I don't know anything about the Aquarius regs - can anyone enlighten me about them. Do they have any value? Were they any good? Worth rebuilding for say stage or deco bottle use?
    1970's design. Unbalanced piston. Very simple to service. 1 moving part, a spring, HP seat and 2 or 3 o-rings. 2 LP and 1 HP port. Can not be upgraded to DIN.

    Indestructable.

    2nd stage is a standard unbalanced downstream with a big diaphragm. No venturi and a heavy single adjustment. The older ones are all metal and it's a surprising performer considering the age and design. Can shudder in shallow water.

    Your main problem using this reg with modern kit is the lack of LP ports. You don't have enough for all your connections let alone if you use a drysuit.

    And another problem might be parts. You'd be able to find o-rings but I'm not so sure about the HP seat. You'll have to take it apart and see if you can find something compatible.

    And finally it's open to the environment so it's no good in cold water or if you're crawling around in muck.

    I don't know about the recall Scubaroo mentioned. You'd need to look into that. To know the age of that particular reg take a look at the serial number on the 2nd stage. The first two digits are the build-year. (for example, 74 = 1974)

    The 1st stage would be suitable for use on a decobottle in warm water but the 2nd stage should probably be replaced. The 2nd stage is really only suitable for an octopus and if there's a recall it's more than likely related to the 2nd stage.

    Barter a case of beer for it. It's not worth anything more.

    Cheers,
    R..

  5. #5
    ScubaBoard Enthusiast


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    1,127

    Thanks...its FREE....

    Thanks...its FREE.

  6. #6
    4ce
    4ce is offline
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    78
    Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    1
    i have one and i want to use it for a deco bottle and i want to put a gauge on it i have a tusa gauge ant its not the same tread size do you know where i can find an adapter ant the size of the tread ????




    Quote Originally Posted by roturner
    1970's design. Unbalanced piston. Very simple to service. 1 moving part, a spring, HP seat and 2 or 3 o-rings. 2 LP and 1 HP port. Can not be upgraded to DIN.

    Indestructable.

    2nd stage is a standard unbalanced downstream with a big diaphragm. No venturi and a heavy single adjustment. The older ones are all metal and it's a surprising performer considering the age and design. Can shudder in shallow water.

    Your main problem using this reg with modern kit is the lack of LP ports. You don't have enough for all your connections let alone if you use a drysuit.

    And another problem might be parts. You'd be able to find o-rings but I'm not so sure about the HP seat. You'll have to take it apart and see if you can find something compatible.

    And finally it's open to the environment so it's no good in cold water or if you're crawling around in muck.

    I don't know about the recall Scubaroo mentioned. You'd need to look into that. To know the age of that particular reg take a look at the serial number on the 2nd stage. The first two digits are the build-year. (for example, 74 = 1974)

    The 1st stage would be suitable for use on a decobottle in warm water but the 2nd stage should probably be replaced. The 2nd stage is really only suitable for an octopus and if there's a recall it's more than likely related to the 2nd stage.

    Barter a case of beer for it. It's not worth anything more.

    Cheers,
    R..

  7. #7
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Lyons, Kansas
    Posts
    423
    Photos
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ce
    i have one and i want to use it for a deco bottle and i want to put a gauge on it i have a tusa gauge ant its not the same tread size do you know where i can find an adapter ant the size of the tread ????
    Look on ebay for older pressure guages and adapters. And I believe that you can still get the rebuild kits.
    "Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings..." - Jimmy Buffet

  8. #8
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Lyons, Kansas
    Posts
    423
    Photos
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBOLD8431
    Old... very old. USD still has parts for them, so you can overhaul them, but if your second stage housing is cracked, then you will be upgrading the entire second stage. (Which, BTW, will happen eventually)

    IMO, not worth it.
    Obviously an old post, but I wonder at its veracity. The Aquarius used the standard metal 2nd. I have one on my main XIV reg. It works perfectly fine. Was there a problem with 2nd stage housing cracks?
    "Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings..." - Jimmy Buffet

Similar Threads

  1. Rebuild Kit for US divers aquarius
    By sheldon in forum Repairing your own Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
  2. Triple-L Aquarius BCD
    By zap11 in forum Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM
  3. Decompression and the aquarius marine lab
    By barbara in forum Ask Dr. Decompression
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
  4. For Sale or Trade: 1975 Agualung Aquarius Reg
    By PhotoTJ in forum Old Unclassified Classified Ads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th, 2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Got to Dive NOAA's Aquarius Lab !
    By cudachaser in forum Florida Diving
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •