Apeks XTX model differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at getting a set of XTX regs- 1st stage and 2, matching second stages. I'm dumbfounded by the website when trying to compare the different models.

What's the difference as you move from 40-50-100-200?

I'm thinking the "Status" models with LCD screens are gimmicky and very un-DIR. I want simple, sealed, high performance regs that breathe easy. My aqualung micras and cousteau 1st stage suck at breathing deep, upside down, or even just tucking your chin in.

I dive with a single tank only, and set up DIR style with backup on a neck bungie, and long hose for primary. I'm currently running DIN tank valves, but thinking about switching back to yoke just for ease of rental tanks when traveling.

Plan to order from LP or diveinn/scubastore.

I have the XTX 100 and XTX50 octo. My LDS allowed me to try the Apeks, Aqua Lung, Aeris, and Scuba Pro in the pool. By far the Apeks was the best, and I could notice a difference in breathing. The XTX 100 and 200 were pretty much the same - [FONT=&quot]The main differences between them are form factor and chrome vs. satin finish on the first stage.[/FONT] Got a GREAT deal on the XTX 100. I would save $$$ and get the 100. When I researched the XTX status, I had (found) an issue with the warranty, but it slips my mind. I think that it (LCD) was short, compared to other regs.

2nd stages; the 50/100/200 are all the same with some minor cosmetic differences. The 40 is the same minus the cracking pressure control knob.

1st stages. Basically the internals are very similar. The 200 (FSR) is a little smaller & lighter than the 100 (FST) but has exactly the same hose routing. There are 4 LP ports & 2HP ports on both. The 200 has a replaceable ARCAP seat that the 100/[50/40(DST & DS4)] do not. The 50/40 can have a DST ( swivel turret) or a DS4 ( no swivel turret). The DST has 4LP & 2HP ports. The DS4 has 4 LP & 1 HP port.

I think the status thing is just for those who like gimmicky stuff as well. Each to their own.

I have a couple of 200s & 3 DS4 50s. Can't tell the difference when breathing at any depth. A machine may say otherwise, but I can't tell. The hose routing on the 200 is a little better than the 50s for doubles. If I had it all to do over again I'd probably go with 50s all round & save a bundle of money.

PS. Sourced all mine from Diveinn Scubastore in Spain.

Ditto, 50/100/200 are very much the same. The DS4 first stage routes really nice, I got my set of XTX50's and DS4 for a good deal. It was my preference to go with the non-swiveling option.

Agree with the Capt.

I have the XTX100 (a few, actually) and love them. I started out moving them back and forth between yoke and DIN single tanks with and without the yoke adapter but eventually went with one of each because the adapter moved the first stage too close to the back of my head. Once I started playing around with doubles I went with two DIN first stages, plus a yoke first stage for single tanks and travel. You can move hoses around and even convert back and forth between DIN and yoke connectors, but I decided it was simpler to have a set of travel regs and a set for doubles. Call me lazy...

There isn't much difference in second stages between the 200, 100, and 50. There is also the 40 which is similar except that it isn't adjustable. They all come with both the wide and narrow exhaust tees; I use wide for the primary and narrow for the bungeed backup.

The first stage of the 40 and 50 is the DST which has the the LP ports on a rotating turret. I had a TX50 with a DST but found the turret would let the hoses rotate at exactly the wrong moment, usually gearing up. I was happy to be rid of it. Maybe I'll change my mind later if I need stages or a deco bottle, but that's not an issue for me right now.

The first stage on the 100 is the FST, it has a very low profile on a single tank with the diaphragm down, and great hose routing. Its also great for doubles with the diaphragms turned in. My favorite, I'd buy these again.

The first stage on the 200 is the FSR, in addition to the chrome also has good hose routing for singles with the diaphragm up, but isn't as low profile as the 100. It has a removable valve seat that the FST doesn't have.

There is another good first stage, the DS4. If you google "DS4 hose routing" you'll see some people don't care for doubles routing with certain tanks and manifolds. But the price is definitely right. I've seen more of these than any of the other Apeks first stages combined.

In spite of how much I like my XTX100s, IMO the Status models are scuba gimmickry at its worst. For less than $25 you can buy an intermediate pressure gauge to connect to your inflator hose that will give you more useful information that the Status LEDs ever will. IF you check around you may find the Status models will sometimes go cheaper than the non-Status models because nobody buys them.

As far as where to get them, they show up used occasionally here and on TDS. LP sells them only as a set with one second stage and one (yoke) first stage, and the DIN conversion will cost you an extra Grant. Aqualung seems to have a new policy with the Apeks stuff; they don't want to sell you just an extra second stage (vs. and octo) or just an extra first stage. FWIW, DI sells sets and components. :eyebrow:

If you get the older ATX models, be aware that most of them come with first stages that had that one goofy 1/2" LP port that you'll either need to plug, get a converter for, or buy hoses that have one connector with a non-standard sized fitting. The DS4 never had the 1/2" LP port, so that's not something to worry about. In fact, you could probably save quite a bit of money getting something like ATX50 second stages with a DS4 first from someplace like DI.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys! Really cleared that up. I'm thinking an FST or DS4 1st stage and a pair of XTX50 seconds. I'll start shopping around.

DS4 and two XTX50's on order! Looking forward to the upgrade over the US Diver's aqualung micra+ regs I've been using for 12 years.

Sorry for a dumm question, but what TDS, DI, LP stand for in context of buying gear?

Sorry for a dumm question, but what TDS, DI, LP stand for in context of buying gear?

Dunno. Try PM'ing John B. By the way, this thread is 2 years old. My regs still work great though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom