My Miflex feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
My Miflex feedback: (My miflex hose is an 5 ft "underarm and loop around the neck dealio")

1. They're stiff in a funny way. There's a "memory" to them that is surprising considering how flexible they are topside.

Has anyone else noticed that they have a memory, based on how they were stored? Will this memory work itself out? Do I need to worry about how I store the hose to keep it from happening?

2. As far as skipping a swivel because it's a miflex hose, that's no good for me. I tried it with no swivel, the 120 degree swivel, and the 90 degree swivel. It's the 120 swivel for me when the hose is looped around my neck, and that's no change from using a rubber hose.

Those who have tried them: Have you tried them on the 5 foot or 7 foot lengths?

I have a 5' on my primary, just a few dives. I find that it wants to stay out to the side rather than down next to me.

No pull on the 2nd, it doesn't seem to want to route down & back.

I see what you mean about the "memory". i have the standard length (30") and not yet had the chance to dive it. In my observation it seems to want to go 1 way, no matter which way you try to route it. It is a strange hose and seems very obstinate. I'm reserving final judgement till I dive it though. Anything i should look out for?

75+ dives with Miflex hoses in singles, doubles, stage, and deco configurations:

- 7' hose
- 22" alternate
- 22" LPI inflator hose
- 30" drysuit hose
- 40" hose on 80cf stage bottle
- 40" hose on 40cf deco bottle

Never experienced any sort of "memory" problem or any sort of "obstinance" in any way. Though I do route the 7' under a can light which keeps it nicely out of the way.

I've got one 26" Miflex. I just started using it. Have done 13 dives with it. So far, I like it. Doesn't seem to tug or push on my 2nd stage.

Mine was brand new just before the dives so it may be too soon to notice any memory effects. Also, I'm diving in warm water, which should make the hose a little more flexible.

I was previously considering a swivel for my standard hose. I think the Miflex is going to allow me to avoid going that route. Fingers crossed.

I'm using a 5' Miflex. Very happy with it so far.

I'm 6'5", 260 lbs., so with my size it routes pretty darned close, so I do not notice it floating away from me (it is pulled pretty tight to reach up across my chest and behind my head, so really no way that it could float away I guess :D )

The 5' Miflex has just the slightest "pull", almost none at all, and has much less "pull" than the standard-length (28" ?), conventional hose that it replaced... I'm pretty sure a standard 5' hose would pull a lot in my case.

I have Miflex on both regs - 5' on primary, 22" on backup. 24 dives with them so far.

I haven't noticed any memory, and they route more comfortably than the traditional hoses they replaced. Without having investigated it in any detail, they do seem to have less tortional flexibility (twisting the hose around its own long axis) than traditional hoses, maybe that's what you're describing as memory. Or maybe it's the same but the greater flexibility of bending in other directions makes for a greater contrast.

But they're very comfortable to wear, definitely an upgrade IMO.
And easier to pack, as well.

OP: When I got my Miflex hoses, the intention was to reduce the length or avoid the swivel - I'm talking about a short hose for my secondary, can't remember the exact length.

After experimenting with various lengths, I found out that I could neither comfortably shorten the hose length, nor avoid the swivel by switching to Miflex. Sure, it was a little nicer at identical lengths, but definitely not worth the extra $.. so I sent them back.

I haven't noticed any memory, and they route more comfortably than the traditional hoses they replaced. Without having investigated it in any detail, they do seem to have less tortional flexibility (twisting the hose around its own long axis) than traditional hoses, maybe that's what you're describing as memory. Or maybe it's the same but the greater flexibility of bending in other directions makes for a greater contrast

I'd agree with that (I have miflex inflator, 'standard' length (28"?) on secondary and 5' primary, no swivel (apart from the inbuilt one)

It does seem to be more important to route them carefully - it's hard to explain, but kinda like you need to keep the 'up' side of the hose up when wrapping them around you, if that makes any sense - when donning, maybe that's what BJ is referring to as 'memory'?

Definitely an improvement for mine, compared to standard hoses - the reduced drag on the second stage is well worth it alone, plus packing. Wouldn't go back

If they ever bring out an HP hose, I'd buy one

Over hundred dives no problems on 22" regulator hose. I use a 7' hose to operate my air tools. About a dozen dives with the inflator hose, all good. Guess a dry suit hose will be soon, just ordered it last night.

Back
Top Bottom