Aqualung Titan LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cathouse

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a newly cert OW diver and new to Scubaboard. Got a quick question. I've done quite a bit a research and it looks like the Aqualung Titan LX is the best reg choice for me.

The best price I've found is on LP for $225, but the AL website says it is Gray Market, so no warranty. I don't live anywhere near a LDS (closest is 2 hrs drive). The ones I've called have all quoted me around $400.

Is there a site online that is a licensed dealer for AL that has better prices?

Thanks.

Hello Cathouse,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Aqualung and Scuba Pro do not allow on line sales. That is where the so called "gray market" crap comes into play. If you have decided on the Titan, just buy it on line if your LDS can not make it worth your while. If it develops a problem most online shops have a store waranty. If and when you decide it needs service, send it to them for service.

See the sticky thread Regulator Checklist and Inspection as a guide to help you decide if it needs service.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html

good luck,

couv

Hey everyone. I'm a newly cert OW diver and new to Scubaboard. Got a quick question. I've done quite a bit a research and it looks like the Aqualung Titan LX is the best reg choice for me.

The best price I've found is on LP for $225, but the AL website says it is Gray Market, so no warranty. I don't live anywhere near a LDS (closest is 2 hrs drive). The ones I've called have all quoted me around $400.

Is there a site online that is a licensed dealer for AL that has better prices?

Thanks.

No. Therefore mine came from LP.

N

Thanks Nemrod and couv.

Let me ask something I probably should have asked first. I am a brand new OW diver. Will be diving in 60 - 120' off coast of South Carolina. Mostly recreational with spearfishing thrown in later. Will be diving Nitrox in water temps ranging from 50 - 80deg depending upon time of year.

I've read posts and talked to folks until my eyes are crossed. Starting to get confused about which is best, diaphram or piston, balanced or unbalanced, etc. Is the AL Titan LX a good choice for my first reg? My budget for a reg is $300 or less.

My friend gets great discounts at Divers Supply, so I've also been looking at the Atomic, Tusa and Sherwoods too. There are really too many choices!! :confused:

If you are going to buy new, then go with your research and be happy that you found a good deal. Piston/Diaphragm…each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But my advice to someone on a budget is to get a used regulator and have it re-built by a trusted tech. So at this point, either go with the LP deal or contact (send a PM) DA Aquamaster and see if he has a rebuilt for sale.

Thanks Nemrod and couv.

Let me ask something I probably should have asked first. I am a brand new OW diver. Will be diving in 60 - 120' off coast of South Carolina. Mostly recreational with spearfishing thrown in later. Will be diving Nitrox in water temps ranging from 50 - 80deg depending upon time of year.

I've read posts and talked to folks until my eyes are crossed. Starting to get confused about which is best, diaphram or piston, balanced or unbalanced, etc. Is the AL Titan LX a good choice for my first reg? My budget for a reg is $300 or less.

My friend gets great discounts at Divers Supply, so I've also been looking at the Atomic, Tusa and Sherwoods too. There are really too many choices!! :confused:

Yes. N

I have 1 Titan and 3 Titan LX regulators. I bought 2 LX's new for the kids and the Titan used from my LDS. I bought the 3rd LX off ebay for $125. I've used both the Titan and an LX in the St. Lawrence to 110 ft. and in various ocean dives to 100 ft. They always perform well and are easy to service.
Occasionally I use a Scubapro MK25 / S600. It breathes a little easier when deep but not so much that I'm unhappy with the Titans. At this point, I'm using the Titan instructing in the pool and the LX for everything else.
I have been contemplating a Scubapro MK25 but only because it has 2 High Pressure ports vs 1 on the Titan. I'm thinking trading from my Vyper (not air integrated) to a Vytec (air integrated) and also keeping my Cobra (air integrated) attached.

I have never regretted buying the Titans.
Totally agree with the others - If you buy used, have it serviced. Understand what that will cost and decide if the LP deal is better or an eBay deal.

Jeff

I have 1 Titan and 3 Titan LX regulators. I bought 2 LX's new for the kids and the Titan used from my LDS. I bought the 3rd LX off ebay for $125. I've used both the Titan and an LX in the St. Lawrence to 110 ft. and in various ocean dives to 100 ft. They always perform well and are easy to service.
Occasionally I use a Scubapro MK25 / S600. It breathes a little easier when deep but not so much that I'm unhappy with the Titans. At this point, I'm using the Titan instructing in the pool and the LX for everything else.
I have been contemplating a Scubapro MK25 but only because it has 2 High Pressure ports vs 1 on the Titan. I'm thinking trading from my Vyper (not air integrated) to a Vytec (air integrated) and also keeping my Cobra (air integrated) attached.

I have never regretted buying the Titans.
Totally agree with the others - If you buy used, have it serviced. Understand what that will cost and decide if the LP deal is better or an eBay deal.

Jeff

Jeff,

Save your money and just get an adapter:
Here is a link to an adapter you may be interested in.

High Pressure Adapters

couv

I agree with others that the Titan LXs are great regs for the price. I have dove mine in 38 degree water without any isues.

I used to have scubapro MK25 S600s but did have a freeflow at 55' in 39 degree water. I was told afterwards by a reputable source here on the boards that the MK 25 is prone to freeflow below 40 degrees so I sold all mine and went to AL and haven't regretted it for a second.

If you could squeeze a few more bucks then I would recommend the AL legend. Leisurepro has them for $350. A super breathing reg at any depth. Plus you get the additional HP port.
Another option is to watch the gear classifieds here for a lightly used Legend. I know there were recently several for sale here. I bought a Legend, Legend octo and SPG with LPI hose here for $325 last year and it works great.

Another advantage is AL is usually serviced by most shops. Be sure to check your LDS and make sure the brand you buy is serviced by them.

I have purchased a lot of gear inc regs from Leisurepro and always been pleased by their service.

Back
Top Bottom