How does a regulator work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I feel a little embarrassed asking this after having used a regulator for life support for so long, but I somehow never absorbed the inner workings of a first stage regulator from my dive class. I understand that there are two types; piston and diaphragm, but how exactly do they work? Is there a website with a good visual or easy to understand drawing? Thanks.

If you want a more detailed explaination and to get a really good understanding of regulator operation get "Regulator Savvy" by Pete Wolfinger. It goes into the hows and why of regulator operation, a must read for anyone who wants to know their regulator. Scuba Tools - Regulator Savvy Book

Another great book on the subject is "Regulator Maintenance and Repair" by Van Harlow. SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

The one thing about the "howstuffworks" article that's missing is the mainspring. This is a big spring in the chamber where the water is in the drawing. This spring forces the 1st stage valve open, and the stage must overcome both the pressure of the water and the spring to close. That's how "intermediate pressure" is achieved and sent to the 2nd stage. Otherwise ambient (water) pressure alone would close the 1st stage, and you'd have what amounts to a single stage regulator.

Adjusting the intermediate pressure to a specified value over ambient pressure is done by adjusting the amount of tension on that spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom