Anyone know how to reduce the breathing effort on the S600/MK25 reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I've had mine adjusted to about 1.40 lbs of inhalation resistence. I asked the tech if he could get it down to 1.0 lbs. He explained to me that the HP seat will wear out faster, and may cause the reg to free flow more easier in a much shorter time.

I asked him to adjust it anyway, so he adjusted it in a manner that the 2nd stage (S600) inhalation control is opened all the way (counterclockwise), and the VIVA control is opened all the way, that some air would actually trickle out almost like a slow leak. Needless to say I didn't quite like that, I just wanted the breathing resistence to be lessened.

What are your suggestions?

I am not a trained or authorized tech, but I have joined the DIY crowd for reg servicing. I don't understand why a tech should have a problem getting cracking effort on an S600 down to an inch of water or less with very reliable performance. I also don't understand the relationship suggested with HP seat wear. Unfortunately, "scuba techs" may be poorly qualified and used to customers with little or no knowledge beyond the use of their equipment.

The short term solution is find a tech who know what he is doing. If the 2nd stage is in good shape, it's a fairly simple adjustment of the orifice and spring pressure. I would guess cost at less than $20.00 if overhaul is not needed.

In the long term, you might want to look at: www.airspeedpress.com for a book that will explain how this stuff works and get you started on DIY if you want.

Hi

The s600 is a 2 adjustment balance piston type 2nd stage:
ie the orifice is adjustable AND the balance chamber end is also adjustable via the knob at the left hand end.
After the seat has had chance to bed in correctly, the reg can be fine tuned to give a low cracking pressure (in the region of 1/2"water pressure should be obtainable)
BUT and its a big but...if there is any change in the setting/temperature/wind direction/orientation head down in a hole or current, it will start to hissss. Turn the VIVA to plus and it could turn into a free-flow.

Learn to accept your regs limitations or tweak it daily or set it a bit harder (say 1" of water pressure to crack it) and learn to suck a little harder and not to complain so much....

All in the spirit of friendship...

Dive in peace

Brian C

I have friends who used to own Apeks and switched to ScubaPro's, that was enough for me, considering these guys have 40 years of diving experience and know what gear works for them.

Hi its me again,

1stly I must declare that I dive Apeks but will tune any make of reg...
Back to the first posting after you got the Mk25 / s600 back from the tech who tweeked it to your "Specification" why didn't you just move the viva lever back to minus and screw IN the manual adjusting knob on the reg till it was how you wanted.
The layout and I assume operation is very simmilar to an Apeks
TX50 where the adjuster can make the cracking pressure change from 1" to 3" by screwing it ALL THE WAY IN?

another free 2 penneth

Brian C

Just adjust your VIVA and dive. My guess is, once you get to depth, you'll never notice the difference. Especially after the reg gets broken in and everything molds together.

I guess my pucker power just isn't that accurate, especially once I get to depth. I"m jsut tickled to still be breathing.:D

It's amazing how some divers on this board are having such a hard time finding good techs out there? Makes me want to service everyone's regs right the FIRST time. Then divers could start to have confidence in their GOOD techs.

The S600 can easily be adjusted to maintain a stable .8 to .9 or EVEN LESS cracking effort. (It's one reason why Scubapro blew away the competition) First, go to a good technician, not the guy you used before. Using the pneumatic adjustment tool and the balanced chamber tool, you can easily have it adjusted but still seat well under 1.0. Also, the spring pad can be removed (though it may make it need a lot of fine tuning.) I've had my S600 as low as .6, but I highly do not recommend this unless you are willing to accept instability and easy freeflows whenever out of your mouth (and the benefit realized is not that great at that little of difference).

You can also live with your reg as it is and slightly tune in the adjustment knob to avoid the hiss your psuedo tech made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom