Atomic T2x and Z2x questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
my fiance and I are looking to buy some Atomic regulators...

He is interested in the T2x, do you think the titanium is worth the extra money? and during the 2nd year service, are the parts free?

I'm interested in the Z2x, I haven't read that many reviews (since it just came out), but I was curious if anyone can tell me their opinions on this regulator and the T2x...

thanks!

TSM

my fiance and I are looking to buy some Atomic regulators...

He is interested in the T2x, do you think the titanium is worth the extra money? and during the 2nd year service, are the parts free?

I'm interested in the Z2x, I haven't read that many reviews (since it just came out), but I was curious if anyone can tell me their opinions on this regulator and the T2x...

thanks!

TSM
Get the Z2x...it has all the same parts as the T2x (with the exception of the titanium 1st stage body, and 2nd stage valve body). The parts that aren't made of titanium are made to the same specs, so, it breathes exactly the same.

I believe the Z2x is the standout value in regulators; all the performance and easy breathing, at half the price. Sounds like a diet cola, eh?

<shrugs> I have 2 Z2x's dedicated to my doubles and love them. If I had taken the Atomic regulator repair class before I bought my B2 a couple years ago, I would have bought the Z2 instead of the B2.

All the best, James

We are Atomic dealers, and I personally dive the T2's on my tech setup. I think they perform great, as all Atomic regs (and most other manufacturers, to be honest, do) However, I really have a hard time justifying to a customer the tremendous price difference for some titanium parts in lieu of the same parts (design-wise) but made of different metals that Atomic uses in the other regulators.

And yes, with the two year service the parts are free, but run a return-on-investment analysis on that. Assuming your dealer is not nailing you for parts and service charges, it will take many, many years to save hundreds of dollars in service to justify the cost difference.

Hope this shed a little light for you!

And if you are interested in either, or other brands, I'll be glad to give you a quote!

just wanted to say that I recently purchased a lot of Atomic gear (T2x, Z2x, SS1, and the SS1 titanium) from Indian Valley Scuba and this place is awesome! I received the gear very fast and the communication is top notch! A+++

I might buy the titanium version if I was teaching and in salt water a lot. But given that I am not we have the Z2 for our rigs. They are plenty fine for serious diving. I have use mine in cold 45 degree water and down to 160 feet on technical dive. Use the extra $$ for a computer.

ScubaLab's recent review of both the T2x and Z2x, along with a bunch of other regs, can be found over at Scuba Diving Magazine's website. Just type in either "Atomic T2x" or "Atomic Z2x" in the search box and follow the link.

The Z2x was rated "Best Buy" and the T2x was rated "Tester's Choice."

ScubaLab's bottom line:

Z2x - the performance benefits of the T2x at about a third of what it costs for &#8220;the best.&#8221;

T2x - the Rolls Royce of regs, with top-drawer performance, exotic metalwork and lots of cool features.

The OP wanted to know if the extra $$ for the T2x was worth it. I dive with the T2 and the benefits of a titanium reg are definitely worth it to me, but there are very valid reasons for going with the Z2. Depends on your budget and priorities.

Hello,
My wife is considering the T2x primarily because of the weight difference --- we travel to warm water dive sites, so we carry on the essentials such as regulators and computers. It seems like a steep premium for reducing weight, but every pound counts at some point. I am curious if there are reasons other than weight that the T2x is worth it for you?
Thanks
JR

ScubaLab's recent review of both the T2x and Z2x, along with a bunch of other regs, can be found over at Scuba Diving Magazine's website. Just type in either "Atomic T2x" or "Atomic Z2x" in the search box and follow the link.

The Z2x was rated "Best Buy" and the T2x was rated "Tester's Choice."

ScubaLab's bottom line:

Z2x - the performance benefits of the T2x at about a third of what it costs for “the best.”

T2x - the Rolls Royce of regs, with top-drawer performance, exotic metalwork and lots of cool features.

The OP wanted to know if the extra $$ for the T2x was worth it. I dive with the T2 and the benefits of a titanium reg are definitely worth it to me, but there are very valid reasons for going with the Z2. Depends on your budget and priorities.

I used to have a B2, and comparing the weight of the B2 to the T2x is pretty amazing.. I think the difference is just under a pound, which doesn't sound like much, but when you hold them side by side, you can tell a pretty big difference (held my friends B2 and also my fiances new Z2x I just bought her to compare my new T2x, and the difference is big!)

I believe the smarter buy is the B2, but if weight is an issue, or you think it will be in the future, then the T2x is definitely a good choice. But it sure is nice to have a super light reg (I was supposed to dive it for the first time today, but plans got changed, I'll let you know how it breathes when I dive it soon) Also, the comfort swivel is titanium. Titanium seems to be the best metal to dive with.

I just got my T2 upgraded to a T2x. While i have not tested it out yet, I never regretted buying the T2. Weight reduction is superb especially when you lug your equipment around or check it into some budget airlines. I had close to 250 dives over 2 yrs on my T2 before sending it in for the upgrade without a single problem, no leaks, no trickling of bubbles, no wet breathing, it performed just as it was advertised. Extremely reliable piece of hardware. All my dives were sea dives. I compared the T2's filter with my buddy's B2 (70+ dives over 2 yrs), and we did see how Titanium performed. Mine had hardly a tinge of green while the B2 had the usual sign of corrosion.

The most important factor, is the post sales service that Atomic renders. The service dealers where I am based at, are a bunch of fools. No one has heard of the T2x, nor do they know which parts of the SS1 exactly are Titanium etc. Idiots. So I emailed Darcy about sending my reg back to the factory for upgrade and servicing. I asked a hell lot of questions, technical questions about length of hoses etc. She answered them all promptly and professionally. That to me, is what you get for paying so called 'premium' prices for Atomic regs. T2, no regrets.

And once again, thanks Darcy!

Unless a person intends on keeping the regulators permanently soaked in salt water without ever taking it out and rinsing it off, there are no real advantage of owning the T2X other than the weight saving.

I suppose that the titanium T2/T2X and stainless steel ST1 would come in handy if you were to ever drop your reg onto a hard surface bad enough to chip the exterior. Chrome plated brass may be chipped enough to penetrate through the chrome plating and then you're screwed as far as corrosion resistance goes (unless you send the unit back for re-plating). Stainless steel and titanium can get dinged all day long and it doesn't matter because they are not dependent upon platings to be corrosion resistant.

I think that if I were a diving professional who put in a lot of water time, I'd shell out and go with either the titanium or stainless steel regs just for the dinging and damage issues. But as far as corrosion goes, nobody keeps their regs in salt water 100% of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom