Scubapro MK16 R390 help..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXDude

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the opportunity to buy this regulator but I can't find any specific details about this specific regulator.

MK16...is it a balanced 1st stage?

R390....is it adjustable for different depths?

When did they discontinue this combination?

What did they replace it with?

Do any of you gents/ladies still dive with this set up?

I plan on doing mostly warm water diving. However, a little cold water dip in the water from time to time may not be out of the question. Also, I plan on doing my own maintenance so will this be easy enough to work on?

Thank you so much in advance,

I have the opportunity to buy this regulator but I can't find any specific details about this specific regulator.

MK16...is it a balanced 1st stage?

R390....is it adjustable for different depths?

When did they discontinue this combination?

What did they replace it with?

Do any of you gents/ladies still dive with this set up?

I plan on doing mostly warm water diving. However, a little cold water dip in the water from time to time may not be out of the question. Also, I plan on doing my own maintenance so will this be easy enough to work on?

Im not a scubapro guru. so going from memory but here we go

Its a balanced diaphram first stage unsealed

R390 is a unbalanced second similar to a r190 but smaller with no adjustment for cracking pressure but had an adjustment on the venturie for some what of a breathing adjustment

Im not sure when they discontinued it probly 3-4 years ago have not seen one in a wile
Was replaced by the mk17/g250v combo

I have a mk14/r390 that i split up a wile ago using the r390 as and octo and the mk14 for an argon reg was a combo used by allot of tech guys for 02 /20ft bottles and 70ft bottles
will work great in cold water 40 deg and above

Thank you so much. I'm getting a package deal with an MK16 TIS (thermal insulation system) with a R390 reg with a R190Octo with a Scubapro 3 gauge console. Everything looks brand new. $280. Thoughts?

its not a bad deal as long as it does not need to be serviced that can run you about a 100 to 150$ . it is a good starter reg for sure but im not a huge fan of the r390 if your going to be doing deep dives but you can upgrade later to a g250/g250v second stage

The Mk 14 was not an original Scubapro design, but rather was something Scubapro marketed to meet growing demand for a diaphragm design until they could design their own.

The Mk 16 was the first scubapro designed diaphragm first stage and has also been marketed by TUSA as the R-400 first stage sold with the S-60 second stage (an R-390 clone) as the RS-460.

It is a good reg and several divers I knew used it ice diving with great success. It is not a sealed design, but has great heat transfer along with the TIS system so it makes a good cold water reg - far better than the Mk 25.

The Mk 17 was an evolution of the Mk 16. It featured an extra HP port, a sealed ambient chamber and has a slightly less round design that puts the ports at better angles for use with doubles. It also incorporates a new seat and orifice design that allows better alignment and longer seat life. That improvement is routinely installed in Mk 16's at annual service so in iternally it still has very high commonalitry with the Mk 17, making the sealed ambient chamber and 2nd HP port the major differences.

The R390 is a basic unbalanced first stage but if properly adjusted can offer very good inhalation performance. The R190 however is potentially a better performer as it has identical internal parts (in some cases) but has a larger diaphragm to drive those parts. The R190 however came in 2 major variants with different interal parts in the early R190's with a plastic aspirator and you don't really know what you have unless you take the purge cover and diaphragm off. Also, I have noted a lot more variability in the R190. Some breathe superbly, while others need to have some parts mixed adn matched to get the same performance level.

I have a MK16 that gets regular use. It has been a good regulator, and for the right price, worth buying. I would not really want to have the R390 as a primary second stage. A G250, S550/600, or old Balanced/Adjustable would offer better performance, and then maybe use the R390 as the backup. The MK16 is not difficult to work on, if you have a few tools, a bit of knowledge, and it is nice to have the repair manual.

$280 is not a bad price for everything in that package. But still, I would want a better primary second stage. Maybe you could sell one of the new second stages and use that cash to buy a different second stage used.

Thank you so much. I'm getting a package deal with an MK16 TIS (thermal insulation system) with a R390 reg with a R190Octo with a Scubapro 3 gauge console. Everything looks brand new. $280. Thoughts?

It's probably a good deal. Where in Texas are you? The MK16 is a fine 1st stage, especially once it's been upgraded with the MK17 seat. It's not an expensive upgrade. As far as the 2nd stages go, try them both, see if you like them. As DA says, there seems to be quite a bit of variance in how the SP unbalanced 2nds perform. I've had some R190s that breathe really well, it just seems to be hit or miss. The 390 is basically the same, a little smaller. BTW, none of them have ever had a cracking effort adjustment, just a venturi assist that does nothing for breathing resistance.

The only thing I wouldn't like about it is the console. Eventually you'll probably want your depth/time info on your wrist, probably with a wrist computer. But, that's something you can deal with later.

If you're in or near San Antonio, I"d be happy to take a look.

Sadly, I'm in Dallas. My in-laws are from San Antonio. I'll definitely do the upgrade M16 to M17 conversion. I'll put in a few dives with this set up and look to upgrading my R390 to a G250 at some point. I really like the older G250HP's. However, for a basic warm water regulator, this set up at $280 fits the bill.

TXDude please excuse me for possibly hijacking your question here but I am curious about the M16 to M17 conversion. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

TXDude please excuse me for possibly hijacking your question here but I am curious about the M16 to M17 conversion. Could someone please explain? Thanks.

The new annual service kits for the MK16 include a upgrade for the HP poppet and seat. Although I have not seen the parts for a MK17, my understanding is that after the upgrade the MK16 will use the same HP poppet and seat as a MK17.

A few more details in this recent thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom