Are DiveRite and HOG regs from the same manufacture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Simple question:

Are HOG regulators and DiveRite regulators (RG3000) made in the same factory by the same manufacture? I know DR puts some of their own parts in their regs and has them made to their specs, but I've been reading some posts saying that the HOG regs were of much better quality than the DR ones....

I have some RG3000s, and they seem to be very close relatives to the HOGs

Does HOG offer a free parts program like DR? (I know HOG has their service course)

Last edited:
As for parts, I have both the RG1208 and the DI cold first stage kits and they are the same. Dive Rite includes a hard plastic ring in their kit that HOG does not.

As for service parts, Dive Rite offers free kits if you have service done by a Dive Rite shop, and HOG offers cheap parts for the DIY service tech. So I see it as a push, send the regs in and pay $50.00 to $75.00 for the Dive Rite's or DIY and pay for the parts kit from HOG.

Jim Breslin

So, I wonder if I can take the HOG reg service course and apply it to my regs since they are probably the same inside.....

Once you do a couple regs they are basically the same. Parts may be different and adjustments done differently but a piston reg is pretty much a piston reg and a diaphragm pretty much a diaphragm.

google regulator savvy I think thats the swiss army knife regulator tech book.

You could service any regulator you wanted it's just a matter of would you do it right lol

google regulator savvy I think thats the swiss army knife regulator tech book.

You could service any regulator you wanted it's just a matter of would you do it right lol

yea, I've had a chance to take a good look at that book, I guess I should finally pick it up.

BTW, DiveRite has the full service manuals and a power point on servicing their regs on their site

So are they the same regs?

The First stages are for the most part the same. The kits have the same o-rings, and the seats are the same.
I have yet to break my HOG down, but I am willing to bet they are very very close to the same.

Jim Breslin

What about OMS? How does the Balanced Diaphragm compare to the DR or the HOG?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom