Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Are DiveRite and HOG regs from the same manufacture?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Are DiveRite and HOG regs from the same manufacture?

Simple question:

Are HOG regulators and DiveRite regulators (RG3000) made in the same factory by the same manufacture? I know DR puts some of their own parts in their regs and has them made to their specs, but I've been reading some posts saying that the HOG regs were of much better quality than the DR ones....

I have some RG3000s, and they seem to be very close relatives to the HOGs

Does HOG offer a free parts program like DR? (I know HOG has their service course)
    Last edited by eliminator; March 13th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

supporter

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Dive Rite vs HOG

As for parts, I have both the RG1208 and the DI cold first stage kits and they are the same. Dive Rite includes a hard plastic ring in their kit that HOG does not.

As for service parts, Dive Rite offers free kits if you have service done by a Dive Rite shop, and HOG offers cheap parts for the DIY service tech. So I see it as a push, send the regs in and pay $50.00 to $75.00 for the Dive Rite's or DIY and pay for the parts kit from HOG.

Jim Breslin

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    So, I wonder if I can take the HOG reg service course and apply it to my regs since they are probably the same inside.....

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    Once you do a couple regs they are basically the same. Parts may be different and adjustments done differently but a piston reg is pretty much a piston reg and a diaphragm pretty much a diaphragm.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog Holiday Specials (including Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday deals) here

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Photographer

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    google regulator savvy I think thats the swiss army knife regulator tech book.

You could service any regulator you wanted it's just a matter of would you do it right lol

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by scuga View Post
    google regulator savvy I think thats the swiss army knife regulator tech book.

You could service any regulator you wanted it's just a matter of would you do it right lol
    yea, I've had a chance to take a good look at that book, I guess I should finally pick it up.

BTW, DiveRite has the full service manuals and a power point on servicing their regs on their site

Registered

is set

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    So are they the same regs?

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

supporter

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Dive Rite vs HOG

The First stages are for the most part the same. The kits have the same o-rings, and the seats are the same.
    I have yet to break my HOG down, but I am willing to bet they are very very close to the same.

Jim Breslin

Registered

has no status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    What about OMS? How does the Balanced Diaphragm compare to the DR or the HOG?

Divemaster
    Badge

has set a status

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by ams511 View Post
    So are they the same regs?
    I believe they're made by the same OEM, but to different specs
    "You may not agree with everything I say but at the very least you'll come to understand that your differing opinion is wrong"

Best SB post ever: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3443054-post47.html