Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: O2 Cleaning your Reg for 100%

ScubaBoard Contributor

Has not set a "status"

O2 Cleaning your Reg for 100%

I have a new regulator that is sent from the manufacturer as nitrox ready for mixes up to 40% EAN. I bought the reg for my high mixes of 70 - 100%, and took it to dive shop to have it 02 cleaned for up to 100% 02.

Shop owner said not to waste my money, because they would do nothing different then what the manufacturer has done with the viton o-rings and 02 safe grease, etc. He said they just say 40% for liability reasons.

True or false? I sure don't want a fire hazard 100 miles out in the Gulf every weekend.
    Spearboard Quarterly , an online spearfishing magzine with stories and video.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]tampascott once bubbled... [/i][B...

tampascott once bubbled...
    I have a new regulator that is sent from the manufacturer as nitrox ready for mixes up to 40% EAN. I bought the reg for my high mixes of 70 - 100%, and took it to dive shop to have it 02 cleaned for up to 100% 02.

Shop owner said not to waste my money, because they would do nothing different then what the manufacturer has done with the viton o-rings and 02 safe grease, etc. He said they just say 40% for liability reasons.

True or false? I sure don't want a fire hazard 100 miles out in the Gulf every weekend.

True...it's more on a liability issue.

Assuming that all o-rings, grease, and other parts of the reg are o2-compatible, there is no need for o2 cleaning.

However, some divers would still have the parts replaced w/ o2-compatible parts just to be safe and have peace of mind.

Some divers would even use nitrile o-rings instead of viton o-rings.

There's a lot of argument here, so you will be getting different answers.

I recommend getting a copy of Vance Harlows Oxygen Hacker Book from www.airspeedpress.com. Teaches a lot of practical no-nonsense stuff.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hello,False, this shop obviously doesnt' ...

Hello,

False, this shop obviously doesnt' have a clue when it comes to oxygen use. If you don't wish to o2 clean the reg then that's fine, just don't use it around me. In fact let me know so I can vacate the area.

Ed
    scuba diver n :
    1. Sea Lion water toy
    2. The *OTHER* white meat

Scuba Instructor

Just following along
    behind the little animals..

Photos

Steer clear of that shop at all cost. They s...

Steer clear of that shop at all cost. They sound out of touch, out of knowledge and out of wacky weed. . Ask them if they will blend nitrox on any tank using partial pressure or if it must be O2 clean.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hello,This is why I use a clean room th...

Hello,

This is why I use a clean room that adheres to 1330D mil-spec for my tank and valve. All I have to make sure is the dive shop(s) uses hyperfiltered air and maintain a good cleanliness.

Ed
    scuba diver n :
    1. Sea Lion water toy
    2. The *OTHER* white meat

Registered

Has not set a "status"

What reg?

Which model and make?