O2 Cleaning your Reg for 100%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I have a new regulator that is sent from the manufacturer as nitrox ready for mixes up to 40% EAN. I bought the reg for my high mixes of 70 - 100%, and took it to dive shop to have it 02 cleaned for up to 100% 02.

Shop owner said not to waste my money, because they would do nothing different then what the manufacturer has done with the viton o-rings and 02 safe grease, etc. He said they just say 40% for liability reasons.

True or false? I sure don't want a fire hazard 100 miles out in the Gulf every weekend.

tampascott once bubbled...
I have a new regulator that is sent from the manufacturer as nitrox ready for mixes up to 40% EAN. I bought the reg for my high mixes of 70 - 100%, and took it to dive shop to have it 02 cleaned for up to 100% 02.

Shop owner said not to waste my money, because they would do nothing different then what the manufacturer has done with the viton o-rings and 02 safe grease, etc. He said they just say 40% for liability reasons.

True or false? I sure don't want a fire hazard 100 miles out in the Gulf every weekend.

True...it's more on a liability issue.

Assuming that all o-rings, grease, and other parts of the reg are o2-compatible, there is no need for o2 cleaning.

However, some divers would still have the parts replaced w/ o2-compatible parts just to be safe and have peace of mind.

Some divers would even use nitrile o-rings instead of viton o-rings.

There's a lot of argument here, so you will be getting different answers.

I recommend getting a copy of Vance Harlows Oxygen Hacker Book from www.airspeedpress.com. Teaches a lot of practical no-nonsense stuff.

Hello,

False, this shop obviously doesnt' have a clue when it comes to oxygen use. If you don't wish to o2 clean the reg then that's fine, just don't use it around me. In fact let me know so I can vacate the area.

Ed

Steer clear of that shop at all cost. They sound out of touch, out of knowledge and out of wacky weed. .:wacko: Ask them if they will blend nitrox on any tank using partial pressure or if it must be O2 clean.

Hello,

This is why I use a clean room that adheres to 1330D mil-spec for my tank and valve. All I have to make sure is the dive shop(s) uses hyperfiltered air and maintain a good cleanliness.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom