Xtx200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTX95

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Who here dives with this and what do you think of it? My diving instructor (and also shop owner) dives with this and has it for sale with the XTX40 and first stage for $850 USD. Also, does anyone use the Airsource3 on their BC as an octopus? It looks like something good to get, it doesn't get in the way at all and I like the sound of that. The thing is, though, how do you actually breathe from it? I'm pretty sure you can't just put it in your mouth and breathe, right?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• air source 3.jpg
    air source 3.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 258
The XTX200 is a fantastic regulator. Apeks is a highly regarded company. I owned a XTX100 (internally very similar to the XTX50 and XTX200) and it was a great reg. The XTX40 has less adjustment than a XTX[50,100,200] second stage, but should serve you fine. You will absolutely not be disappointed in the performance and reliability of the XTX200 (the TX100, an earlier model Apeks, was used in the deepest dive on scuba - 1000' - without difficulty). Most modern regulators will breath fine if adjusted correctly, you usually pay for reliability, customer support and occasionally just for a brand name. The price, even for Apeks, seems a bit high to me.

You might consider a HOG D1 setup which is very similar to an Apeks reg for less than half the cost you're quoting - and with two identical second stages. You'll have to buy the 2nd second stage separately, hoses too, but Dive Right in Scuba will assemble them for you if you ask. The whole package will run you about $400. It's what I'm diving, it's what my dive buddy is diving.

Octo-inflators (Airsource3 and similar) are a highly debated topic. There's an extensive thread on the first page of this forum here, and I'm sure if you searched you could find more. Many people, myself included, don't care for them. However, I know at least one highly experienced (and extensively mustached) diver that uses one for every dive - and he's done everything from scuba accident investigations to scientific diving under the ice at the north pole. Do a drill with one and choose for yourself.

Sorry, my fault, I stated it weirdly. I meant for $850 you get the XTX200 as primary second stage, and the XTX40 a the octopus. So for $850 I get the XTX200 primary, XTX40 Octo, and first stage. I also get %20 off because of my uncle being a Dive Con, so it'll be around $680. Looking that I would be paying the same for just the XTX200 and first stage and the AS3, I might as well take the XTX40 Octo. The only thing I'd have to add is a different first stage, because during training I used a "One and Three," which has only your primary regulator on your right side, and EVERYTHING else on the left side, I find it much more comfortable. So I guess I'll be purchasing the XTX200 and XTX40 set with a new first stage set-up that i want. Do you also dive with a Black Diamond BC by any chance?

Also, there was a Scuba Dive to 1000' feet? I never heard of that.

Also, there was a Scuba Dive to 1000' feet? I never heard of that.

Yes.

And on dives surpassing the one Blue982 referenced, other less expensive regs were sucessfully used :wink:

Remember, they are using mixed gas with high proportions of helium (less dense than air).

The less expensive regs used on dives to and beyond 300m? Aqualung Titan, Mares Abyss, Aqualung Legend.... probably others?

Best wishes.

I was advocating the use of an adjustable Apeks XTX50 as both primary and octo... and then later the use of a HOG D1 second stage as both primary and octo. The 40 should suit you fine though.

Also the Apeks XTX[50,100,200] first stages all feature two LP ports (Apeks calls them MP ports, these are for your regulators and inflation whips) as well as a HP port (for your SPG/gauge console) on both sides. With an Apeks first stage, you would be able to put your primary on the right and the rest of your hoses on the left - unless you're diving a drysuit (where an additional BCD-inflator style whip is required). I'm not familiar with a first stage that features three LP ports on the left though. However, I've never heard of the "One and Three" style gear setup, so I'm don't know if there are regulators that are made to accommodate so much on one side. Seems like it could get tangled to me.

I do not dive a Black Diamond BC.

I agree that the FSR first stage is an excellent 1st stage but the price of that n the XTX40 is very high.

For US $850 you can easily get:
The 1st stage FST is a better breath than the FSR on the XTX200 setup
Apeks XTX100 Regulator
&
Apeks XTX50 Octopus
SPG
OMS Brass PSI/BAR pressure Gauge, (63mm)
With just enough for a cheap dive comp:
Oceanic "Veo 100" Wrist Dive Computer, Yellow

For a little bit more you can get a great computer
Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G Wrist Computer

Cheers,

SangP

With an Apeks first stage, you would be able to put your primary on the right and the rest of your hoses on the left

Not sure I understood what you meant, but anyway...

Regardless of brand, the 'standard' set up would be primary and secondary (octopus) regs off the right side of the first stage, SPG and inflator off the left side

To the OP, since you like the 'streamlining' of the Air3, I would suggest you look at a 'long hose primary' set up, with the secondary bungeed under your neck - streamlined as an Air3 but more functional IMO

You can see a photo of this set up in my profile

Of course you'll need to practice 'primary donate' for OOA, but you need to do that with Air3 anyway

:popcorn:

Okay, well with the reviews you guys have given, I guess the XTX200 with XTX40 Octo is best for me. The dive comp is no problem because my uncle is giving me his Cobra 2 since he is buying a Cobra 3.

The thing is, though, how do you actually breathe from it? I'm pretty sure you can't just put it in your mouth and breathe, right?

Yes, you do just put it in your mouth and breathe from it. Some people love 'em and some hate 'em, but the Sea Quest Air Source and the Scubapro Air2 are second stage regulators combined with a power inflater. You breathe through them the same as any other second stage. They have a purge button like a regular second stage also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom