Scubapro S600 vs. A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomich

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's time for my annual regulator servicing, and I have the chance to trade in my Scubapro S600 towards a A700 through my LDS.

Has anybody compared these two? I know the difference in the materials, but other than this, how is the real world comparison between the two?

They are very similar in performance. What first stage do you use with the S600? I assume the MK25. If this is the case I would stick to the S600. It is lighter as has the same performance as the A700. If you have a MK17 and dive/plan to dive in sub 40 degree water, I would go for the A700. IMO the S600 is still KING!!

And I always though the G250 was the king lol!

I've got S600's and I've been drooling over a G250.

-Mitch

As for myself, I have a MK17 and live in Switzerland but will be moving to Malta in August. I plan to dive year-round, but I don't think the sea gets below 40°F! (And I was getting a deal for trading in a MK2/190 octopus that I don't use, which I could sell on Ebay.)

What do people like about the A700/G250V over the S600? Just metal?

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Metal regulators are claimed to breath less dry than plastic ones but the g250v n s600 are plastic. The a700 is a metal reg but like the guys have said unless your ice diving or some really cold waters I there is no real need to change unless it's free n you want to try one out.

The g250 is about as reliable n fool proof a 2nd stage as you can get. The fact that Halcyon is putting their brand on it says a lot of how it well it works n fits into the dir philosophy.

The a700 is claimed to breathe better than the s600 but I'm not sure by how much. The only other advantage other than being less dry would be metal regs take wear & tear better than plastic ones.

Just be careful of the barracudas with that bright shinny thing on your mouth :eyebrow:!

SangP

The G250V has a plastic case, but a metal air barrel that the air flows through. That's why it's a little less dry; condensation on the metal can moisten the air a little. However, the air barrel itself is surrounded by air, where the metal case is surrounded by water that's cooler than exhaled air. This would greatly increase the potential for condensation, I would think. I do know from experience that the all metal balanced/adjustable is less dry than any plastic case 2nd stage I've used. That includes a G250HP, which basically is a slightly larger version of the S600.

If the A700 incorporates the advantages of the old metal case SP 2nd, I would say it's definitely worth getting. I don't know if it does, though.

A friend of mine has an S600 and a 700, he said the 700 was
Only slightly better breathing. This may have been due to
Servicing/internal adjustments than it actually being better.
It is cool that it hand made (brazed), which is not widely found
In our world of injection molded plastic.
I think that for the extra $100 that you have to pay for the 700
Over the 600, it's worth it. Just for the additional quality
And manufacturing steps.
If I were buying a new reg I'd consider the 700 based on that.
I don't know that it's a better performing reg than the 600.
I still think the 250 is a really cool 2nd.
-Mitch

I have the G250V and S600. From my point of view and my G/F the G250V is a better breather. It feels smoother and easier on the delievery of it. They both are greta reg's and the differnce is only a little but noticable. Also for us as we dive in the Northeast the waters get cold and I have heard of a few S600's free Flowing in water's below 38F and have seen 2. I have used the both with Mk25/MK17 to see which one breathed better and they felt almost identicle.

The G250V has a plastic case, but a metal air barrel that the air flows through. That's why it's a little less dry; condensation on the metal can moisten the air a little. However, the air barrel itself is surrounded by air, where the metal case is surrounded by water that's cooler than exhaled air. This would greatly increase the potential for condensation, I would think. I do know from experience that the all metal balanced/adjustable is less dry than any plastic case 2nd stage I've used. That includes a G250HP, which basically is a slightly larger version of the S600.

If the A700 incorporates the advantages of the old metal case SP 2nd, I would say it's definitely worth getting. I don't know if it does, though.

If you are referring to the metal tube valve assembly in the 2nd stage, I'm pretty sure most 2nd stages use metal valve assembly. Like the ATX50
http://www.frogkick.nl/files/apeks_atx_service_manual.pdf

An all metal 2nd stage like the R109 n standard size 2nd stage like the G250, XTX50 for example do breath less dry cus of the larger inner surface area n condensation factor for metal regs that make them breath less dry.

For looks the A700 is real nice to have but I rather get a G250V or just G250.

Cheers,

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom