Apeks DST (XTX50) 1st Stage 5th Port Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read from many people that have converted their Apeks DST's to the 5th port using some conversion kit their dealer can get for them.

I just ask multiple LDS (Apeks dealers) in the USA and they all state their AqualLung rep has no clue what they're talking about.

So my question is this: how does one upgradet their DST's to include the 5th port (in the States) and still expect it to be servicable at the annual/bi-annual warranty obligations?

I just upgraded two older DST's to use the 5th port. My LDS ordered it directly from their Apeks/AqualLung supplier. No issue. The LDS didn't know what it was but got on the phone to the supplier, said '5th port' and had the part# 15 seconds later (AP0274).

Comes with a full kit for install, including all o-rings and a new HP seat.

Not sure what their Aqualung vendor's are having issues with but with the part number you should be good to go...

I brought the part# to multiple LDS that I had asked yesterday about. They each told me that yesterday the dealers said they had no clue what I was talking about, and with or without a part number, they're not going to waste their time asking again. What a F'n industry we live in.

<Edit> I just spoke with AquaLung America directly, it is not an Apeks part they distribute in the US and cannot get it to me, and if I obtain one and install it, my warranty (free parts) will be voided.

I think I'm going to sell my two Apeks regs and replace them with identicle looking HOG's (that have the 5th port). Many of my dive buds use them and are very happy.

Thanks for providing the part number, tho.</Edit>

I brought the part# to multiple LDS that I had asked yesterday about. They each told me that yesterday the dealers said they had no clue what I was talking about, and with or without a part number, they're not going to waste their time asking again. What a F'n industry we live in.

<Edit> I just spoke with AquaLung America directly, it is not an Apeks part they distribute in the US and cannot get it to me, and if I obtain one and install it, my warranty (free parts) will be voided.

I think I'm going to sell my two Apeks regs and replace them with identicle looking HOG's (that have the 5th port). Many of my dive buds use them and are very happy.

Thanks for providing the part number, tho.</Edit>

That's unbelievable isn't it! But then, it's that sort of attitude that after years of using Apeks regs, I no longer recommend them, & like you, if I need more regs they'll be Hogs, or Zeagle, or....... I just wish they'd stop buying companies I just bought gear off.

That's unbelievable isn't it! But then, it's that sort of attitude that after years of using Apeks regs, I no longer recommend them, & like you, if I need more regs they'll be Hogs, or Zeagle, or....... I just wish they'd stop buying companies I just bought gear off.

Yeah, they said that not only if I did manage to upgrade it & I'm okay with voiding my warranty, any authorized dealer (in the states) may not be able to get any (if any) additional parts to service the addtional port and may not even touch it since they hadn't any authorized training on it.

They just bought Whites, too. I'm so glad I got the drysuit (from Mike at DRIS) before they decide to "harmonize" their online sales & discounts policy.

The Apeks DST regs are awesome, but they are terribly difficult for me to route on one of my sets of doubles so the 5th port would help tremendously. I ordered a set of HOGS and I'll eventually be offloading my Apeks & SP (they are too damned difficult to service if I don't have all my paper work in order and many shops near me refuse to service them if I didn't purchase from them to begin with).

Oh well, par for the course.

Update: I received a phone call from an LDS who said that AquaLung expects to begin carrying the part within 90 days or so (but is not firmly committed to a date). If that's the case, I'll hold off and convert.

Does anyone have any pictures of hose routing for a twin set using the 5th port? I am upgrading mine and am looking for the best DIR setup you people have tried... Thanks

Here's the DST with 5th port on doubles:

Apeks Deepstop DIR SET XTX 50 5 Port

The 5th port allows hose routing very similar to Scubapro MK10 with very little - if any - bends in the hoses. Very slick. I can use a 24" hose on my back-up with those regs. With my Tek3 regs I need a 28" hose on the back-up.

I bought the Tek3 regs and really like the hose routing and how the sealed balance chamber is *not* partly shielding access to the valves:

http://www.deepstop.de/apeks-twin-p-670.html

Henrik

Yeah, they said that not only if I did manage to upgrade it & I'm okay with voiding my warranty, any authorized dealer (in the states) may not be able to get any (if any) additional parts to service the addtional port and may not even touch it since they hadn't any authorized training on it.

Wow, that's quite a line. Whoever told you that is the Michael Jordan of B.S.

No training to service an additional LP port...good one. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom