Vertical first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJules

Contributor
Reaction score
Last weekend someone pointed out to me a reg in a LDS with a vertical first stage. The first stage does not protrude toward your head, but up, parallel to the tank.

As a Very Short Person who has trouble sometimes with big tanks, I thought this was an attractive idea. No more putting big holes in the back of my skull when I look up to see what boat is passing overhead next to my dive buoy AGAIN. No more banging the backs of my legs against the bottom of the tank becuase I mounted it low because of the bruise on the back of my skull from the last dive.

I'm just wondering if there's a drawback to this. I mean, regs were built the way they were for a reason. Is there any kind of efficiency or performance hit that these regs take by having their first stage shaped that way?

Curious,
Julie

I'm just wondering if there's a drawback to this. I mean, regs were built they way they were for a reason. Is there any kind of efficiency or performance hit that these regs take by having their first stage shaped that way?

Curious,
Julie

Julie,

Keep in mind that divers used to wear 260 pounds of brass also, so times do change and ideas improve the quality of the gear. I have seen a few like this so I imagine it will be like the piston/diaphram just another way to do the same thing just more convenient for some task.

As for the constant beatings you take in scuba diving, the legs and the skull might I suggest regular stretching on the Rack? It only hurts the first couple of times, but then you get used to it. I used to be 3'11" and weight 300 pounds, now I am 6" and weigh 300 pounds and I look a lot better. Once they stretch me to 6'7" I will be at my ideal weight with no dieting... Pretty cool huh?

There is absolutely no general drawback to all of the spoken models. Several, of course, got their own drawbacks, but generally, they are very good. The only thing, maybe, is that the first time you assemble your gear, it's a bit tricky, especialy if it has a lot of swivels. There are models that to put on, you put the tap in a way that it turns to the side, which seems awkward, but that's it. Functionality is preserved (I just tried one 2 days ago, and I was very happy with it!!!).

I'm glad to hear that people have had success with them. Though with my regulator being fairly new (to me, anyhow), I don't know that I'm ready to make the leap yet.

On the other hand, it's better than being stretched on the rack!

Julie

Julie,

I've been using a Scubapro MK 10 since 1986. It is configured in the manner you describe and is an excellent high performance regulator. It never gives me any trouble.

WWW™

Which model were you looking at... the regulator, -not the male model...

:tease:

Remember the short people song?

Anyway, I am also short. I think I bought the last short 80 aluminum tank (called Super 80) that was manufactured. It's great - same amount of air but the tank is shorter and fatter. No hitting your head or legs.

I have a six foot friend who has 8 of them but won't sell me even one!!!!!

So if anyone knows where I can get more, I'd appreciate it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom