Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I buy a regulator?

Defender!

I have no status.... sigh.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatul View Post
    Doesn't that put wear on the spring?
    I think the slight compression of the spring(s) to take pressure off the soft seat is a non-issue as far as wear goes.

I think that over-loading a spring is what will wear it out or damage it, but slight static compression (loading) well within its normal operating "range" is no problem.

Best wishes.
    All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

"Diving is safe as long as you remember it is dangerous"~ Mark Powell

Registered

is diving, why arent you?

Dives
    200 - 499
    You've got yourself a ton of great replies here

One thing I'll add though, if you are looking to pick up a reg, and for some reason have an aversion to scubapro (dont know why you would, they make awesome gear!) Mares makes some great regs that have seals which only need replacing every 2 years, so if you store them properly, you could probably get one to last 3 times that versus regular seals which are meant to be serviced once a year.

Hope it helps

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Doesn't that put wear on the spring?
    What spring are you referring to?

Registered

loves animals.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by mattboy View Post
    What spring are you referring to?
    There's a spring that pushes the diaphragm/purge button back. But I accept that pressing on it is within the normal range of the spring and it should not wear as fast the valve seat.

Adam

Registered

has no life.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    IMO:
    Reg first. SCUBA is entirely dependent on that one piece of equipment. First thing I bought.

I think you want to know the history of your underwater breathing apparatus. Know that it is in working order. Know that no one has vomited through it recently and you won't be spitting little chunks, etc.

Selection of reg is objective. You can read reports about the breather you want for the price you can afford.

Computers are great, but you do have one between your shoulders.

BC's are very personal and their selection is very subjective. For a rec diver they are more a convenience than a necessity however. While you would do well to get dialed into one early on, why not find out which one suits you best first. Rent and borrow until you see what you like. Then get dialed in.

Wetsuits, yeah. While you can rent them, you might get one early on. But after the reg.
    Tim
    "They called themselves Guerrilla Divers.
    Composed of elite divers with Macho mentalities, back when men were men, and FEAR was a lispy companion of the common Man. It was a time before insurance liabilities, lawsuits or beauracratic regulation of the "sport". Guerrilla divers didn't need "Buoyancy Compensator Vests". In fact, "Anyone who needs a BC deserves to drown" was a popular adage. Exploration and the Hunt came first, excitement and fun followed. Safety was the stepchild of fitness, good reflexes and a cool head.
    This was a time of great Adventure."
    www.sfdj.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

There's a spring that pushes the diaphragm/purge button back. But I accept that pressing on it is within the normal range of the spring and it should not wear as fast the valve seat.

Adam
    Most of my 2nd stages don't have a spring that keeps the purge button out. My D series and the 109s have soft purge covers. I don't bother with the D series, they have a very light valve spring and a big orifice, so there's very little imprinting on the seat.

When you slightly depress the purge, you are very slightly compressing the valve spring, but it's not enough to worry about. That's what I was thinking you might have been referring to.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234