AL Legend LX vs. SP A700 vs. Apex XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first reg setup for North East diving. Looking at:

Aqualung Legend LX
Scubapro A700 w/ MK17
Apex XTX200

Any recommendations between the three? Or, is it simply a matter of personal choice and asthetics (i.e. you can't go wrong with any of them) ... any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a trustworthy reg repair tech in your local area? If so, can he work on regs manufactured by Aqualung, Apeks, Scubapro, or all three? All three should perform very well. You should consider regs from other manufacturers, too. Take a look at Zeagle, HOG, Mares, Oceanic, and Atomic regs. All seem to be well regarded.

All of the reg setups you mentioned have sealed first stages...suitable for cold water diving. If you are diving in the NE U.S., then I'd say that any of them would be appropriate. I own and like the Aqualung Legend and the Apeks ATX100. I overhaul the Apeks reg myself. It's very easy to work on.

Good luck!

You really can't go wrong with any of the above and as Bubbletrubble said, the most important thing would be to find service support from where you're at.

Also if this is your first reg, you might also want to want to consider Hog regs. The D1 first stage looks very similar to the apeks DST and is a lot cheaper. Alternatively, you can also out for the Apeks DS4/XTX0/XTX50.

It's a lot cheaper than the XTX200 and breaths about the same.

SangP

Aqualung Legend LX and Apeks XTX 200 are essentially the same reg.
Differences:
The Legend's first stage has the advantage of the acd system(auto-closure device).
The XTX second stage gives the user the choice of routing the hose either from left or right.

All three regs will be top performers and reliable.

Which reg can you get the best deal on?
Which reg do you think looks the coolest?

acd is rubbish. Take it out.

The Apeks and AquaLung 2nd stages are the same.
Their 1st stages, apart from both being balanced diaphragms, are very different.

The Apeks and AquaLung 2nd stages are the same.
Their 1st stages, apart from both being balanced diaphragms, are very different.

"Very different" is a bit strong...

The first stages are both dry sealed, overbalanced diaphragm designs with almost identical shape and placement of lp and hp ports. Both are excellent cold water regs and are effortless breathers.

Legend LX
XTX200

You really can't go wrong with any of the above and as Bubbletrubble said, the most important thing would be to find service support from where you're at.

Also if this is your first reg, you might also want to want to consider Hog regs. The D1 first stage looks very similar to the apeks DST and is a lot cheaper. Alternatively, you can also out for the Apeks DS4/XTX0/XTX50.

It's a lot cheaper than the XTX200 and breaths about the same.

SangP

I was told by a technician of Apeks that between XTX50 & XTX200, they both perform equally, almost-ly identical. It's only the machine that can tell the difference between both regs.

From the OP posting, I'd say just go with one that can be serviced easily and rather cheaply, that will bring down the cost of TCO (total cost of ownership). If possible get XTX50, and spend the remaining budget on another XTX50 and not end up buying a XTX20 for your octopus. XTX20 breathes too 'thin'.

I was told by a technician of Apeks that between XTX50 & XTX200, they both perform equally, almost-ly identical. It's only the machine that can tell the difference between both regs.

From the OP posting, I'd say just go with one that can be serviced easily and rather cheaply, that will bring down the cost of TCO (total cost of ownership). If possible get XTX50, and spend the remaining budget on another XTX50 and not end up buying a XTX20 for your octopus. XTX20 breathes too 'thin'.

The xtx50, xtx100 n xtx200 are all the same but with cosmetic differences. The DST, DS4, FST and FSR are a whole different kettle of fish.

Basically most of apeks 1st stage have the same basic operation but with differences in hose routing, very slight differences in orifice sizes but they pretty much breath about the same.

Honestly unless you can get a great deal for a XTX100 or XTX200, you're really better off getting a DST or DS4 with the XTX50 for the primary and octo.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom