Scubapro MK17 G250V - Should or shouldn't I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timothy78

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting my complete dive system together. I have pretty much decided on purchasing Scubapro for my first and second stage and my alternate air source will be the same make and model as my primary / second stage. I will be purchasing the set up from my LDS and will lean heavily on what they suggest but I want input from as many of you that will chime in.

I have researched the different Scubapro regulators and in my opinion "with a grain of salt here people" the MK17 with 2 G250V's and appropriate sized hoses will pretty much let me dive any and everywhere I want (not interested in chipping a hole in the ice yet).

I am getting back into scuba now that I can truly afford it and over the next few years want to get into light tech diving (cavern / partial wreck entry) and want to have gear that will support that.

I would like to hear from you if you own this set up or if you were thinking of this one and went with a different set up. All are welcome to give your two cent.

Thanks in advance for replying because I know this question has been asked before.

Timothy

I don't own the 17/250 setup, but I know from research that they perform very well. The MK17/G250 will be great. I would however order them in DIN format since you are looking to get into tech/cave diving activities. You might also want to look at the Apeks DS4 or Tek3 stages with XTX50 or 100 seconds. I love mine. I can also recommend MK25/S600. Enjoy your kit and diving adventures.

Read about the difference between diaphragm and piston regs from sources independent of the manufacturers in regard to usability delivery maintenance and possible failure consequences.

Also the reg you choose for one purpose today may not be to your taste tomorrow.

I have a Mk17 G250V setup, and I'm very happy with it. If I had it to do again, I'd probably get the same, unless my LDS became a HOG dealer, in which case I might look at a HOG setup, since I've seen many very positive reviews of them and my only complaint on the Scubapro stuff is that I'm not allowed to do any maintenance myself if I want to keep the warranty intact. The warranty and the proven track record of the Mk17 G250V are certainly pluses IMHO.
HTH,
Colin

The regs you've chosen are among many that would make you vary happy for years to come.

I think a more important decision is the choice of the regulator tech rather than any particular brand or model (within reason).

If you really like your LDS, and they are a Scubapro dealer, then you've made a great choice... if they sold Apeks, Aqualung, Mares, Zeagle, HOG, etc., you'd also be making a great choice... in other words there are lots of wonderful regulators to choose from!

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Best wishes.

You missed the bit about the heart going pitter patter.

I liken regs to a period house renovation.
You can do everything right but if you paint it beige and mission brown its all over.

My LDS is a Scubapro dealer and I will be purchasing what ever I do end up getting from them as well as having them service it once a year to keep the warranty.

The advice about the getting the DIN and a conversion to Yoke is something I wondered about if I should do or not (I think now I definatley will).

Also, great advise to get references other than the manufactures website.

I'll be going to my LDS in a few days to talk to the technical instructor and see what his thoughts and suggestions are.

Keep it coming, that's why I posted here...

Diaphragm 1st stages make my heart go "pitter patter" (there, I managed to work it in afterall, knowone :rofl3: ).

However, after recently rebuilding a Scubapro Mk5 (the "father" of many current balanced piston regs), I do see the allure of balanced pistons.... nice design, a bit easier to rebuild, elegant lines, nice performace....

I'm still married to balanced diaphragm 1sts perhaps, but balanced piston 1sts may now be my exciting "mistress" :wink:

This rambling is intended to get you looking at all the alternatives.

If you dive warm or temperate water, a balanced piston design (Scubapro Mk25 / G250V for example) might also be worth a look.

No wrong choices for the most part.

If you are moving towards doubles and tech diving, looking into DIN vs yoke connections, which design allows more options for hose routing, and be sure that the 1sts and 2nds both accept "standard" hoses (so you can change hose lengths easily).

Best wishes.

The MK17/250V is a great setup, and will serve you well. As a PSD diver, we dive MK17's because the primary chamber is sealed, preventing contamination. In my personal diving, to include (very) deep as well as wreck I prefer the MK25's because the balanced piston flows better/smoother at depth. I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes. Unless you really push the envelope, you will be happy with either set-up - each has its strong points but both will perform more than adequately in normal use. I do agree with the DIN comment - if you continue on with your dive education you will end up with DIN regs or conversions.

Mk17/G250v set up is my reg of choice, i own a mares and aqualung but my favorite is scubapro. you cant go wrong with SP and since your local LDS carry that brand your in the right path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom