Reg & Crazy glue!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
Some advice please!

I found the plastic exhaust fixture on my Delta III second stage lying on the bottom of the boat - oops! It still 'clicks' on but is a little bit wiggly if you know what I mean - looks like one of the two things that 'click' have broken. Anyone have any advice as to whether a healthy dose of crazy glue might keep it in place? Or any other suggestions of course.

Many thanks!

Scuby Dooby once bubbled...
Some advice please!

I found the plastic exhaust fixture on my Delta III second stage lying on the bottom of the boat - oops! It still 'clicks' on but is a little bit wiggly if you know what I mean - looks like one of the two things that 'click' have broken. Anyone have any advice as to whether a healthy dose of crazy glue might keep it in place? Or any other suggestions of course.

Many thanks!

What you are suggesting will probably work but I have a better idea. Take it to your LDS and have them return it to the manufacturer for repair. Often times the manufacturer will repair it for free and their solution is bound to be the best one.

R..

An obviously good idea - the only problem is that I bought it in the Philippines but live in Hong Kong. The next chance I get in manila I'll bring it to the shop. In the meantime I'm looking for a quick fix to get me through the next month and probably 6 - 8 dives! :)

Can you hold it on with a rubber band or something? That way it won't have crazy glue on it when you do take it to the shop.

DOCTOR DUCK TAPE

And unlike glue, it can easily be removed when you are ready for a proper repair.

Hmmmmm. . . . Duct tape - seems like half my old backpacking gear was held together by it

Anybody had any experience with how well it keeps it's grip underwater - under saltwater that is!

thanks for the input so far - good points!

An obviously good idea - the only problem is that I bought it in the Philippines but live in Hong Kong. The next chance I get in manila I'll bring it to the shop. In the meantime I'm looking for a quick fix to get me through the next month and probably 6 - 8 dives! :)

I don't think crazy-glue is a good idea. The service tec has to take the exhaust T off to get at the rubber exhast valve on your reg to service and/or replace it.

If you put the T on permanently then you'll make it very hard for the service tech and there's a chance that he will either break it by forcing it (afterall he expects it to come off) or not service the exhaust valve.

That said. What kind of an octopus do you have? Can you make 6-8 dives using your octopus as primary? Alternatively can you rent a reg or maybe just a 2nd stage for 6-8 dives?

Another idea is to call Oceanic and explain to them what happened. Maybe they can give you a tip for a temporary fix over the phone.

R..

If you decide to go the glue route don't use crazy glue. I think it was invented for field sutures during the Vietnam war and it isn't permanent. It will dissolve in a couple weeks-months and you’ll have the same problem. Use epoxy or super glue. If you should get shot, don’t use super glue for field sutures however, it’s toxic. Just kidding.

Hmmmmm. . . . Duct tape - seems like half my old backpacking gear was held together by it

Anybody had any experience with how well it keeps it's grip underwater - under saltwater that is!

thanks for the input so far - good points!

I pretty sure duck tape was invented for the military by J&J and was originally called "duck" tape due to its waterproof quality. Although I've never had any luck with any long lasting uw application, I think short term it would be fine.
As any avid duct tape user knows it's very hard to get off all the glue when you take it off.

Do you have to take it back to the LDS where you originally purchased it? That sounds kind of goofy.

Shouldn't an Oceanic dealer/service center anywhere be able to handle this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom