Add swivel to Atomic Z2? Other ways to reduce jaw fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have come to realize that scuba diving is killing my jaw and TMJ. My right teeth ache after most dives, and it's causing headaches. I did a scooter dive last week and the pull on the regulator hose at high speed was miserable. During normal dives, the pull is less severe, but still causing discomfort.

Obviously, giving up diving is not an option, so I need to adjust my second stage. I have an Atomic Z2. Options:

1. Buy a new B2 with swivels in both stages (seems like overkill? Does a swivel on the 1st stage really help?)

2. Buy a B2 second stage only.

3. Upgrade my Z2 by adding a Atomic swivel hose. (I assume this is possible?)

4. Something else? Is there a mouthpiece designed to reduce stress on the jaw?

Frankly, it's so bad that I'm thinking of getting a regulator with the hose on the left side, just to give my right jaw a rest.

Thanks for your suggestions!

1. Buy a new B2 with swivels in both stages (seems like overkill? Does a swivel on the 1st stage really help?)

Buying a B2 might be over kill. For some a swivel does help.

2. Buy a B2 second stage only.

No need unless you want it as as octo (side bar always good to have our primary and octo be of the same quality).

3. Upgrade my Z2 by adding a Atomic swivel hose. (I assume this is possible?)

Possible - atomic swivel hoses come up for sale from time to time. Exprensive new.

4. Something else? Is there a mouthpiece designed to reduce stress on the jaw?

Several options come to mind.

SeaCure mouth piece. Many find them to be more comfortable.

Milfex hoses - many find the greater flexibility to reduce pull.

Hose length. You might find a 5' hose to help as well.

I'd try adding the second stage swivel, a Seacure mouthpiece and miflex hoses first. I don't know if any one of them will make a dramatic difference, but based on my wife's experience I'm thinking the cumulative effect of doing all three at once probably would. And try to determine if you need a longer hose than the one you're using now.

If that doesn't work, then I'd add a first stage swivel to the Z2. Probably not as cost effective as doing the first three so I'd do this last.

FWIW, I use a T2 ("upgraded" to a T2x) with first and second stage swivels. My wife uses a Z2x (the "x" denotes a second stage swivel) with a first stage swivel. Both regs are fitted with miflex hoses. I never really suffered from jaw fatigue before this reg and have no issues with it now. My wife used to complain of mild jaw fatigue with her prior Sherwood but not any longer since I got the Z2x for her. She doesn't particularly care for the Atomic mouthpiece but has never bothered to sub on the Seacure mouthpiece I got for her when she had her old reg.

Hope that helps. If you could post what you decide to do and the results that would be great.

Miflex hoses and good mouth piece as c5diver said gets my vote also.

Cumfo bite mouthpiece is cheap to start and mouthpieces are not for biting.

Okay, I'm just throwing this in as an ultimate last-ditch option if everything else fails and you are willing to go all-out...but a full-face mask (FFM) is technically an option. A very expensive, quite different way to dive option. But I suppose there might be some extreme cases where it'd be worth considering. I'm not knocking FFM's.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom