custom regulator purge cover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the regulator or DIY section so I just placed it in here.

I wanna make a custom cover to go over the purge valve of my regulator... something out of either soft plastic, or something that sits on a post that is stuck to the purge button so that I can still purge.

I want a purely cosmetic cover, something that won't interfere with purging.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I was thinking of something basically like a flat disc on a post... it would look like a mushroom, or big buzzer button over the regulator 2nd stage purge.

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the regulator or DIY section so I just placed it in here.

I wanna make a custom cover to go over the purge valve of my regulator... something out of either soft plastic, or something that sits on a post that is stuck to the purge button so that I can still purge.

I want a purely cosmetic cover, something that won't interfere with purging.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

I was thinking of something basically like a flat disc on a post... it would look like a mushroom, or big buzzer button over the regulator 2nd stage purge.

The idea is very cute but you'll have to pay attention to a couple of things.

First, you'll need to leave the reg's own cover in place because the cover usually forms part of the diaphragm retainer.

next, some regs (like mares) use the form of the front cover for streamlining and/or a way to keep the reg from freeflowing in current. If you change the dynamics of this you might have problems with slight freeflows, especially in current but also any time you move your head. You'll have to find a solution to this problem.

next , if a repair tech saw something "funny" like that he might "fix" it or refuse to service your reg depending on his estimation of his liability exposure.

next, weight will be a problem. The thing you want to put in front of your reg will protrude quite a ways from the mouthpiece so any negative or positive buoyancy it creates will apply torque to the mouthpiece and it could end up being quite uncomfortable. You might find the same problem when moving your head from side to side.

i hope this is the kind of feedback you were aftre?

R..

You want to dive a Halcyon wing with an Air2...

you want to forego spring straps and make your own fin straps with nylon webbing but still leave the plastic buckles in place...

and now you're talking about making a 'mushroom or big buzzer button' on your reg purge???!!!!?!?!??!!

What slays me is that you referred to your configuration once as being "more DIR." :confused:

Dude - I would never call anyone a stroke. But I must question whether or not you've ever HAD a stroke! Is this just some giant plea for attention underwater, a giant, protracted troll, or are you off your meds or something???:crazyeyes

WHY???????

Something stuck to the purge button of your alt 2nd will only make it purge whenever you bump it.

This must be a troll.

Dude...If you want to play DIR, look into a fundamentals course and if you have any cash left over, buy a clue.

Kevin

Boogie, Kevin... relax :lol: I was only asking. Apeks has 'glow in the dark' covers for their octo line... not all regs have this... I was just wondering since I didn't want to change the reg cover itself for fear of changing the dynamics... I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a flat disc in front of, but away from the reg cover.

Boogie, I don't have Mares straps... again, that's why I asked where the common failure point was... I don't have access to DIY spring straps should I get Quattros... so if the strap itself breaks often, the next best thing I can do is replace the strap. I currently use full-foot fins, so I've never had a strap problem... again, that's why I asked

I'm not DIR by a long shot... my comment was referring to my current reg config of a 6' primary, and a 22" octo bungeed around my neck... isn't this similar to a DIR config?

I never said I KNEW the answers.. out of sheer curiousity, I ask... I don't go running around telling everyone to do this or that... I ask "why?" ... the only topic I gave an opinion on was the Air2, saying that in shallow OW dives, I don't really see its potential failure as a big issue if you abort the dive if it does fail. That's all, I didn't say I was right about it... it's just my opinion! :)

The reason I like posting questions... no matter how stupid they may seem, is that I can get answers WITHOUT HAVING TO ACTUALLY TRY THEM OUT. :wink: I got a BP and wings because I asked around this forum... I asked why people thought they were better than jackets..etc..etc.. it's a common and stupid question... but I still asked anyway. The answers helped me make my choice. You can't always trust just ONE instructor or even worse, your LDS for what's OK and what's NOT OK in a rig... this forum has been a main source of my info since I get to ask the smallest questions, and get opinions from everyone..around the world. Something that I might have thought was ok, might not be (current thread, case & point) ... someone may have already tried it and failed... I never would've thought of bungeeing my computer & compass had it not been for this forum... or someone originally asking if it was better than the original strap.

My point is, it doesn't hurt to ask... that's all I'm doing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom