2nd stage necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John1234

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen two ways how to make your own ...

1. Cut and remove the cable-tie holding your second stage mouthpiece, lay the ends of the bungie cord along both sides of the mouthpiece and then secure with a new cable-tie and trim

2. tie 2 knots and create small closed loop - basically the necklace looks like big loop (goes around your neck) and small loop (goes over mouthpiece and sits on top of cable-tie)

a. which one is better?

b. do you have any pics for (2) how to?

Thanks
John

I use a 2nd cable tie to hold the bungie, leaving the mouthpiece cable tie undisturbed. I tighten the cable tie that secures the bungie tight enough to hold it very securely, but the bungie will pull free if I were to somehow hook the hose on something while jumping off a boat for example.... in other words, it would pull free with more than maybe 20-30 lbs of pull, so there is no way I could "hang" myself from my bungie necklace... which I can't imagine ever happening, but just is case :wink:

Use whatever way you prefer. My feeling is that as long as the necklace bungie is the proper length (not too long) and secure (not likely to fall off unless pulled on very hard), you are fine.

Best wishes.

Option 2.

I used to do Option 1, but I switched to number two for 'safety' reasons.

Option 2 can allow the regulator to pull out of the necklace. Option 1, not so much.

When I say safety, I can't tell you how many times I'd take my rig off and forget to remove my necklaced second and turn around, walk away, so on so forth. Option 1 tends to hold too well. It is embarrassing and hurts.

#1 is better, more secure, cable ties are cheap, I want my necklace to stay put and be where I expect it

Option #2 is my preferred method. It will break free if you get hung up and the reg will separate from the bungee if done correctly. If that happens you can easily put the bungee loop back on and continue the dive or repair it on the surface.

You don't want something to hold too well or you could have issues as mentioned above.

Good to see that there is consensus and the matter is settled!

YouTube - suicide strap
There's a video we made for our classes on how to tie them. Can be done with quite literally anything although this is 1/8" bungee I believe? I use thicker black stuff for mine, but it all works well. I don't like the zip ties as the octo can't pull free if it needs to for whatever reason.

Make sure you have sufficient length before you cut. Good measurement for us is
around back of neck, across chin while looking up. Tips touching, add 6 inches. This leaves you a little margin for error and you can always cut, if it's too short you're done....

I use surgical tubing w/ zip ties and use option #2. It has never popped out in 6 years of diving, but I can easily remove it when I want to.

Reactions: =C=
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom