use of a Nitrox regulator vs. normal air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may be a "simple" question but figured I'd throw it out there. Brother in law purchased a Mares Nitrox rebel 12 (I beleive it was on a closeout at a local store).

He can use this for his regular/non nitrox tanks correct?

Next question-
Can someone use it for both (alternating from regular air to nitrox)? Or once he get's nitrox certified to only use a designated regulator for each gas type.

All of the commercially available regulators are suitable for nitrox up to 40%, for air, and for switching freely back and forth.

MC:
This may be a "simple" question but figured I'd throw it out there. Brother in law purchased a Mares Nitrox rebel 12 (I beleive it was on a closeout at a local store).

He can use this for his regular/non nitrox tanks correct?
Yes.

MC:
Next question-
Can someone use it for both (alternating from regular air to nitrox)?
Yes.

In theory, if you happened to fill out your tank with unclean air, there is a possibility that contaminants get from the tank into your "nitrox clean" regulator. Once that happened your regulator would no longer be "nitrox clean". But if you only use properly filtered, clean air in your tanks you should have no problem using it for both. I believe that if you get your fills from Fill Express in Pompano you should have no trouble using that reg for both.

Personally I believe that if you're breathing gas so contaminated that it could gunk up your reg, then you have bigger problems than just losing the "nitrox" qualifier from your reg.

IMHO labelling regs "Nitrox" is only marketing fluff from the manufacturers.

Yes.

Yes.

In theory, if you happened to fill out your tank with unclean air, there is a possibility that contaminants get from the tank into your "nitrox clean" regulator. Once that happened your regulator would no longer be "nitrox clean".

I can't believe how such a simple concept gets so confused. THERE IS NO 'NITROX' CLEAN. There is O2 clean, for use with higher than 40% O2 mixes. In terms of diving equipment use, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference between recreational nitrox and air. NONE. The only reason some tanks need to be O2 clean for use with nitrox is because those tanks will be exposed to 100%O2 during partial pressure fills.

Regulators NEVER are exposed to higher-than-40% O2 in recreational use of nitrox, and therefore NEVER need to be O2 cleaned for its use. There is one exception to this, that's with certain titanium regulators that in all honesty are probably perfectly safe, but in our litigious society, the manufacturers choose to require O2 cleaning for their nitrox use.

Okay, rant off.

Muy buena.:D

I can't believe how such a simple concept gets so confused. THERE IS NO 'NITROX' CLEAN. There is O2 clean, for use with higher than 40% O2 mixes. In terms of diving equipment use, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference between recreational nitrox and air. NONE. The only reason some tanks need to be O2 clean for use with nitrox is because those tanks will be exposed to 100%O2 during partial pressure fills.

Regulators NEVER are exposed to higher-than-40% O2 in recreational use of nitrox, and therefore NEVER need to be O2 cleaned for its use. There is one exception to this, that's with certain titanium regulators that in all honesty are probably perfectly safe, but in our litigious society, the manufacturers choose to require O2 cleaning for their nitrox use.

Okay, rant off.

What is particularly awesome is when i go to get a nitrox fill (membrane or banked 32%) and i am told that i need to have stuff O2 clean first. Really? Shouldnt they be taught this in filling classes, or ...basic nitrox?

Okay, rant off.
Did you notice the " "? Maybe I should have been more overtly clear when trying to convey a sarcastic tone towards the "nitrox clean" term. My other post is about what some "reasons" some LDS tank filler might give for saying the reg is no longer "nitrox clean" since he used it with air. My point is that using air or nitrox is not a point of concern. The point of concern would be using clean, filtered gas. If the gas is so unclean to gunk up a reg, then you have major problems in other areas. Therefore don't buy the excuse the "you have to have all your regs 'nitrox clean' or O2 clean before you get a nitrox fill." It is just another way to try to nickel and dime you.

Hi guys,

Interesting topic.

I was thinking: Nitrox is so specific, because the higher content of oxygen in the gas mixture. Speaking about contaminated air in the tank, the contamination could be most likely oil vapours from the compressor system. Pure oxygen reacts with almost any oil by igniting it. So in summary if you had exposed your regulator to a contaminated air from a tank, make sure you clean the regulator and the hoses before using it with Nitrox.

I'm not completely aware of the detailed internal regulator structure, but are the conventional air regulators lubricated somehow? If yes, I guess that will be the difference between air and Nitrox certified regulators.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Regards,
Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom