Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By halocline

Thread: use of a Nitrox regulator vs. normal air

MC
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

use of a Nitrox regulator vs. normal air

This may be a "simple" question but figured I'd throw it out there. Brother in law purchased a Mares Nitrox rebel 12 (I beleive it was on a closeout at a local store).

He can use this for his regular/non nitrox tanks correct?

Next question-
    Can someone use it for both (alternating from regular air to nitrox)? Or once he get's nitrox certified to only use a designated regulator for each gas type.

Registered

status quo

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    All of the commercially available regulators are suitable for nitrox up to 40%, for air, and for switching freely back and forth.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    This may be a "simple" question but figured I'd throw it out there. Brother in law purchased a Mares Nitrox rebel 12 (I beleive it was on a closeout at a local store).

He can use this for his regular/non nitrox tanks correct?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Next question-
    Can someone use it for both (alternating from regular air to nitrox)?
    Yes.

In theory, if you happened to fill out your tank with unclean air, there is a possibility that contaminants get from the tank into your "nitrox clean" regulator. Once that happened your regulator would no longer be "nitrox clean". But if you only use properly filtered, clean air in your tanks you should have no problem using it for both. I believe that if you get your fills from Fill Express in Pompano you should have no trouble using that reg for both.
    Slamfire: The unintended firing of a piece of weaponry as a round is being loaded in the chamber.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Personally I believe that if you're breathing gas so contaminated that it could gunk up your reg, then you have bigger problems than just losing the "nitrox" qualifier from your reg.

IMHO labelling regs "Nitrox" is only marketing fluff from the manufacturers.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfire View Post
    Yes.

Yes.

In theory, if you happened to fill out your tank with unclean air, there is a possibility that contaminants get from the tank into your "nitrox clean" regulator. Once that happened your regulator would no longer be "nitrox clean".
    I can't believe how such a simple concept gets so confused. THERE IS NO 'NITROX' CLEAN. There is O2 clean, for use with higher than 40% O2 mixes. In terms of diving equipment use, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference between recreational nitrox and air. NONE. The only reason some tanks need to be O2 clean for use with nitrox is because those tanks will be exposed to 100%O2 during partial pressure fills.

Regulators NEVER are exposed to higher-than-40% O2 in recreational use of nitrox, and therefore NEVER need to be O2 cleaned for its use. There is one exception to this, that's with certain titanium regulators that in all honesty are probably perfectly safe, but in our litigious society, the manufacturers choose to require O2 cleaning for their nitrox use.

Okay, rant off.
    ScubaFeenD likes this.

NA

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Muy buena.

Registered

has no status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by halocline View Post
    I can't believe how such a simple concept gets so confused. THERE IS NO 'NITROX' CLEAN. There is O2 clean, for use with higher than 40% O2 mixes. In terms of diving equipment use, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference between recreational nitrox and air. NONE. The only reason some tanks need to be O2 clean for use with nitrox is because those tanks will be exposed to 100%O2 during partial pressure fills.

Regulators NEVER are exposed to higher-than-40% O2 in recreational use of nitrox, and therefore NEVER need to be O2 cleaned for its use. There is one exception to this, that's with certain titanium regulators that in all honesty are probably perfectly safe, but in our litigious society, the manufacturers choose to require O2 cleaning for their nitrox use.

Okay, rant off.
    What is particularly awesome is when i go to get a nitrox fill (membrane or banked 32%) and i am told that i need to have stuff O2 clean first. Really? Shouldnt they be taught this in filling classes, or ...basic nitrox?
    Less clothes, more gear!!

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by halocline View Post

Okay, rant off.
    Did you notice the " "? Maybe I should have been more overtly clear when trying to convey a sarcastic tone towards the "nitrox clean" term. My other post is about what some "reasons" some LDS tank filler might give for saying the reg is no longer "nitrox clean" since he used it with air. My point is that using air or nitrox is not a point of concern. The point of concern would be using clean, filtered gas. If the gas is so unclean to gunk up a reg, then you have major problems in other areas. Therefore don't buy the excuse the "you have to have all your regs 'nitrox clean' or O2 clean before you get a nitrox fill." It is just another way to try to nickel and dime you.
    Slamfire: The unintended firing of a piece of weaponry as a round is being loaded in the chamber.